Subject: Ftp-WG: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-12.txt

From: "Kinser, Prentice H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:50:48 -0500

In the preamble to the draft, the statement is made:

   Much implemented, but long undocumented, mechanisms to permit
   restarts of interrupted data transfers in STREAM mode, are also
   included here.

Please forgive my ignorance, but are there commercial-grade implementations
of FTP which support restarts of stream-mode transfers?  The only
implementation of checkpoint/restart with which I'm familiar is the OS390
FTP, which only allows restarts of block-mode EBCDIC transfers, rendering it
relatively useless (except in mainframe-to-mainframe scenarios).  

Product suggestions (or newbie-question-flames :o) can be sent to
[email-masked] so as not to clutter ftp-wg mailboxes. 

Thanks

PK Kinser <mailto:[email-masked]>
Trigon Healthcare, Inc. (NYSE: TGH)
<http://www.stockmaster.com/wc/form/P1?template=sm/chart&Symbol=TGH>

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:29:27 -0500

Date:        Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:50:48 -0500
    From:        "Kinser, Prentice H." <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Please forgive my ignorance, but are there commercial-grade implementations
  | of FTP which support restarts of stream-mode transfers?

I don't know what counts as "commercial grade", but I think just
about every unix server does this (it was in the reference implementation
15 years ago or so...).

kre

---

From: Alun Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:07:13 -0500

At 08:29 AM 9/20/2000, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Message-ID: 
> <[email-masked]>
>

Most Windows FTP servers seem to claim to support this.  I only know of one 
that _correctly_ supports it ;-)

Being serious for a moment, though, I've run into many, many FTP servers 
and clients that support stream-mode REST.  It's such an obvious 
implementation that it might even have spread without anyone bothering to 
let on exactly how it's implemented.

The trick is more in finding a server that _doesn't_ support stream-mode REST.

Alun.
~~~~

--
Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email [email-masked]
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)378-3246 | read details of WFTPD Pro for NT.