Subject: Ftp-WG: I-D ACTION:draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-00.txt

From: "Paul V Ford-Hutchinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:11:54 -0500

I draw your attention to this:

Comments and suggestions gratefully received.  (to me, not the list 
please)

Paul

--
Paul Ford-Hutchinson :  eCommerce application security : 
[email-masked]
MPT-6, IBM , PO Box 31, Birmingham Rd, Warwick, CV34 5JL +44 (0)1926 
462005
http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html

----- Forwarded by Paul V Ford-Hutchinson/UK/IBM on 07/11/2001 03:00 PM 
-----

[email-masked]
Sent by: [email-masked]
07/11/2001 12:05 PM
Please respond to Internet-Drafts

        To:     IETF-Announce: ;
        cc: 
        Subject:        I-D ACTION:draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

        Title           : FTP/TLS Friendly Firewalls
        Author(s)       : P. Ford-Hutchinson
        Filename        : draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-00.txt
        Pages           : 13
        Date            : 06-Nov-01

This document discusses some of the issues with running FTP, secured
with TLS as defined in [FTP-TLS], through firewalls.  FTP is known to
be a bit of a problem for firewalls (see [RFC-1579] for a discussion
of normal FTP and firewalls).  Some of the problems have been fixed
by adding intelligence into the firewall.  With secured FTP, where
the control connection is encrypted, some of these techniques fail.
Whilst this document confines itself to issues of FTP over TLS, the
issues will probably be relevant for most secured FTP protocols that
conform to [RFC-2228].  Some of the discussions will also be relevant
to any protocol that firewalls do clever things with.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the 
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail 
readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-00.txt