Subject: Ftp-WG: streaming control commands

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:02:24 -0500

Are you asking if this was added to the protocol?

If so, I'm not sure why it is needed.  FTP deals with files.  With the
REST command (RESTART) the client can pickup at any point it desires.
So PAUSE, RESUME, and REWIND become client side UI commands that do
not affect the FTP protocol.

> Has anyone previously proposed adding streaming control commands as FTP 
> extensions?  For example, PAUSE, RESUME, REWIND?  I realize this is 
> dangerously close to media control like in other protocols, but it would be 
> helpful to know if such a thing has been considered in the past for FTP, 
> and if so, what was the general reaction of this WG.
> 
> Any pointers/comments are appreciated.
> 
> Thanks and regards,
> 
>          Mike
> 
> 
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Michael A. Dolan  TerraByte Technology  (619)445-9070
> PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903       FAX: (208)545-6564
> URL:http://www.tbt.com
> 
> 

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: "Michael A. Dolan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:33:33 -0500

Thanks for the reply.

FYI, I am aware of the current work of this group, specifically the new 
extensions draft and the half dozen existing RFC's.  So, the question was 
not specifically about this published work.  The question was intended more 
of a philosophical and functional one about application layer control of 
the transfer and any discussions that may have occurred.

REST is indeed helpful, and in block mode with restart markers may do 
everything needed for the contemplated functions (although we have not 
actually tried it yet).  REST appears to be intended to provide restart (as 
the name implies), and not for implementing stream control (even though it 
might work).

So, if there was a discussion in this group about this sort of stream 
control beyond the prima facia intent of REST, a pointer or thoughts would 
be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Regards,

         Mike