Subject: [ftpext] draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions

From: "Mark P. Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:08:01 -0600

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to mention that my document, "draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions"
is alive and I would like it to remain in consideration within this
discussion and the charter.  Could we get some feedback regarding
its priority and content.

Just for the sake of getting this discussion rolling, as with "HOST"
there are a few FTP clients and servers that already support the
commands documented in this proposal.  End-users are already
very happy with the results and would probably like to see these
commands extended to other servers and clients.

Thank you,

Mark P. Peterson - President
http://www.RhinoSoft.com
Voice: +1(262) 560-9627
FAX: +1(262) 560-9628

---

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:17:25 -0500

hi Mark,

> is alive and I would like it to remain in consideration within this

I think it would be helpful if you could respond to my review of your
draft a few months ago & update it if need be.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ftpext/current/msg00130.html

if I didn't already mention it, I see CSID isn't in the IANA section.

> its priority and content.

one reason it was dropped from the charter is because I asked publicly
and privately for help with the charter and dates for the
goals/milestones. you didn't provide any. as you are the one pushing
this forward, you have to be more involved and at least reply where
your draft is concerned.

you kinda have to "defend" your work, when people ask questions or
wonder about things. besides my review left hanging, there was also
this msg: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ftpext/current/msg00029.html

> commands extended to other servers and clients.

which clients & servers?

can we involve the developers who have implemented them on this list?
I would like to have more people behind this.

can other people on the list give their opinion on the draft?

here's the quick summary of the 5 commands.

Remove Directory All (RMDA)

   The FTP command REMOVE DIRECTORY ALL (RMDA) removes a directory from
   the server and all of its contents including all files and
   subdirectories.  The RMDA command is considered analogous to
   recursively deleting all files and directories contained in a given
   remote directory (including the directory itself) one at a time.

Directory Size (DSIZ)

   The FTP command DIRECTORY SIZE (DSIZ) returns the number of octets
   (8-bit bytes) on the remote file system occupied by a given directory
   and its contents.

Available Octets (AVBL)

   The FTP command AVAILABLE OCTETS (AVBL) can be used to retrieve the
   number of octets available to receive uploads in a specified remote
   directory.

Retrieve Thumbnail of Remote Image File (THMB)

   The THMB FTP command allows the server-FTP process to locally
   generate a thumbnail of a requested image type and transfer the
   resulting image instead of the entire contents of the original image
   file.

Client / Server Identification (CSID)

   The FTP command CLIENT / SERVER IDENTIFICATION (CSID) allows the
   client and server to exchange relevant identifying information about
   the programs and underlying platforms being used for the FTP
   communication.
-- 
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads