Subject: Re: [ftpext] Submitting new drafts

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:35:06 -0500

Robert,

I don't mean to single you out, but you showed interest in an CSID/AGNT command.

do you have any opinion on the other 4 commands in the draft?

something as simple as "XXXX appears useful, YYYY not as much" could
be helpful information.

I'd like to get other people's opinions too, if anyone could just read
the sentence about each command & comment. I'm not asking for anyone
to read the whole draft unless they have time.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions

Remove Directory All (RMDA)

   The FTP command REMOVE DIRECTORY ALL (RMDA) removes a directory from
   the server and all of its contents including all files and
   subdirectories.  The RMDA command is considered analogous to
   recursively deleting all files and directories contained in a given
   remote directory (including the directory itself) one at a time.

Directory Size (DSIZ)

   The FTP command DIRECTORY SIZE (DSIZ) returns the number of octets
   (8-bit bytes) on the remote file system occupied by a given directory
   and its contents.

Available Octets (AVBL)

   The FTP command AVAILABLE OCTETS (AVBL) can be used to retrieve the
   number of octets available to receive uploads in a specified remote
   directory.

Retrieve Thumbnail of Remote Image File (THMB)

   The THMB FTP command allows the server-FTP process to locally
   generate a thumbnail of a requested image type and transfer the
   resulting image instead of the entire contents of the original image
   file.

Client / Server Identification (CSID)

   The FTP command CLIENT / SERVER IDENTIFICATION (CSID) allows the
   client and server to exchange relevant identifying information about
   the programs and underlying platforms being used for the FTP
   communication.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Robert McMurray <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Anthony - great catch!
>
> Mark - I sincerely apologize, I had not seen the CSID addition to draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions; I had only seen earlier drafts before that was added. You are welcome to scavenge anything that you might find useful from the AGNT draft that I sent out last week to [email-masked]. ;-]
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Anthony Bryan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 1:20 PM
> To: Robert McMurray
> Cc: William F. Maton; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ftpext] Submitting new drafts
>
> I would say submit it now (you only have a few hours left) under Apps,
> or you won't have it for discussion at the IETF meeting or be able to
> submit it until November 8.
>
> I'll add it to the draft charter once I see it's submitted.
>
> btw, (this is to everyone) any comments on how to improve the draft charter?
>
> "The pre-meeting cutoff date for new documents (i.e., version -00
> Internet-Drafts) is 2010-10-18 at 5 PM (PT). You will not be able to
> submit a new document after this time until 2010-11-08, at midnight"
>
> also, I think there is some overlap between AGNT from your draft &
> CSID from http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Robert McMurray <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Thanks, Anthony.
>>
>> The lack of an FTPEXT WG is the problem that I was referring to - I'd like to add the proposed draft that I sent out last week to the proposed FTPEXT WG's charter, but since it isn't a formal WG yet then I wasn't sure how best to proceed. (e.g. Should I submit the draft to the applications area for now just to start the peer review process while awaiting the next phase of the FTPEXT WG process? )
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
>

-- 
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads