Subject: Re: [Geojson] One minor nit in the References

From: Carl Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:28:08 -0600

A couple of nits:

1. "OpenGIS Consortium, Inc." Should be Open Geospatial Consortium. The
name officially changed in 2004.

2. SFSQL should be normative. Beside being an OGC standard it is also an
ISO standard.

Thanks

Carl

-- 
Carl Reed, PhD
Carl Reed and Associates

Mobile: 970-402-0284

---

From: Sean Gillies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:11:06 -0600

Hi Carl,

On 1, thank you, I will make the change.

On 2, I assert that SFSQL doesn't need to be read in order to implement
GeoJSON. The original geojson.org spec didn't reference SFSQL at all and
few of its implementers have read the SFSQL spec. I think the lack of a
reference was an oversight and I've tried to correct this oversight in the
WG draft.

>From https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/normative-informative.html:

> Within an RFC, references to other documents fall into two general
categories: "normative" and "informative". Normative references specify
documents that must be read to understand or implement the technology in
the new RFC, or whose technology must be present for the technology in the
new RFC to work. An informative reference is not normative; rather, it only
provides additional information. For example, an informative reference
might provide background or historical information. Informative references
are not required to implement the technology in the RFC.

Or if SFSQL does need to be read, I think we have a little more work to do.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Carl Reed <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> GeoJSON mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geojson
>
>

-- 
Sean Gillies

---

From: Carl Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 09:58:55 -0600

Thanks, Sean -

I guess I was looking at "informative" viz "normative" through the
OGC/ISO/OASIS etc terms and definitions glasses and not the IETF glasses.

Understood.

Cheers

Carl

-- 
Carl Reed, PhD
Carl Reed and Associates

Mobile: 970-402-0284