Subject: [Geojson] Call for adoption of draft-gillies-geojson-text-seq-00

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 11:23:36 -0300

Sean has now uploaded an individual draft on GeoJSON text sequences.

This draft addresses a chartered goal for our group.

Please reply to this email if you support adoption of this document.

---

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:26:57 +0200

hello all.

> Please reply to this email if you support adoption of this document.

thanks sean for doing this, and i support adoption of this draft. it is 
a good starting point to work towards one of our deliverables.

thanks and cheers,

dret.

-- 
erik wilde | mailto:[email-masked] |
            | http://dret.net/netdret    |
            | http://twitter.com/dret    |

---

From: Martin Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:31:02 +0000

> Please reply to this email if you support adoption of this document.

I support adoption of this document.

Martin

---

From: Howard Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:13:57 -0500

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 9:31 AM, Martin Daly <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

:shipit:

Howard

---

From: "Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 11:20:29 -0400

Martin et al,

I am not sure if I have any say in the matter, but I have been following the 
process of the document via this email list and in case I can vote, I support 
adoption of this document.

Ciao.

On 04/08/2016 10:23 AM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> GeoJSON mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geojson
>

-- 
Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos         CubeWerx Inc.
Big Kahuna (CTO, Senior DB Developer)  http://www.cubewerx.com
Tel. 416-701-1985  Fax. 416-701-9870   [email-masked]

"THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE; THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER"
Inscription on the memorial to the Seebees.

---

From: Jerry Sievert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 08:24:50 -0700

+1 (with enthusiasm).

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 08:13, Howard Butler <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:40:18 -0300

On 8 April 2016 at 12:20, Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> process of the document via this email list and in case I can vote, I
> support adoption of this document.

Your opinion is valued.  The IETF doesn't generally vote [49], but my
job depends on knowing what informed people think.

[49] Long form: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7282

---

From: Allan Doyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 13:44:50 -0400

I support this document. 

   Allan

-- 

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 10:23, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: "Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 17:50:46 -0400

Thanks Martin,
Great job by the entire team!
Ciao.

---

From: "Stefan Hagen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 14:12:40 +0200

On 8 April 2016 at 16:23:36 +02:00, Martin Thomson <<[email-masked]>> wrote:

> Please reply to this email if you support adoption of this document [...]
> 
I support adoption of this document (and will submit a pull request to further push towards delivery ;-)

@Sean: Great to have that artifact now in our arsenal, thanks a lot for initiating this.
$> git diff
diff --git a/middle.mkd b/middle.mkd
index f0ec6a6..3a7df21 100644
--- a/middle.mkd
+++ b/middle.mkd
@@ -7,17 +7,19 @@ often run to the tens of thousands or millions of records. The problem
is amplified by the possibility of large arrays of coordinates for each
of the records.

-This document describes a solution to this problem based on JSON Text
-Sequences. A GeoJSON Text Sequence is a document containing not, e.g.,
-a single GeoJSON Feature Collection, but multiple GeoJSON Feature texts
-that can be parsed and produced incrementally.
+This document describes a specialization of JSON Text Sequences that
+allows to produce and parse GeoJSON objects incrementally. A GeoJSON
+Text Sequence is a document of possibly infinite size containing one
+or more GeoJSON objects, e.g., multiple GeoJSON Feature texts that can
+be parsed and produced incrementally, and not only a single GeoJSON
+Feature Collection.

The advantage of using ASCII character RS "0x1e" to denote a record is
that sequence producers and parsers need not enforce a canonical form
for record GeoJSON. Any valid GeoJSON, pretty-printed or compact, can be
used in a GeoJSON text sequence. Additionally, GeoJSON text sequences
-inherit from [RFC7464] rules for consistent processing of sequences with
-potentially corrupted records.
+inherit from the other [RFC7464] rules for consistent processing of
+sequences with potentially corrupted records.

## Requirements Language

@@ -38,5 +40,5 @@ GeoJSON object as defined in [GeoJSON].

Heterogeneous sequences containing a mix of GeoJSON Geometry, Feature,
and Feature Collection objects are permitted. How producers and parsers
-of GeoJSON text sequences should communicate about which GeoJSON types
-might appear in a sequence is not specified in this document.
+of GeoJSON text sequences communicate rules for allowed GeoJSON types
+in exchanged sequences is not specified in this document.

Best,
Stefan
--
read: stefan-hagen.website
talk: eventually

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:09:32 +1000

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses.  I think that we have
reasonable consensus to proceed.

Sean if you want to submit a new version of the draft, that would be
great.  This time it can be called draft-ietf-geojson-something.

(I did have editorial comments, but it looks like others beat me to
it.  Thanks for that.)

---

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:06:38 -0400

hello all.

> great.  This time it can be called draft-ietf-geojson-something.

the new draft has been approved, and an email about that has been sent 
to the group. here's the draft's text:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geojson-text-sequence-00

thanks all for voting, and sean for his ongoing editiorial work!

cheers,

dret.