Subject: Geographic location representations?

From: Paul Knight <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:17:26 -0700

Glad to see the WG chartered.

I see the plan is that "the working group will select an already
standardized format to recommend for use in representing location per se."
I am working on an I-D which uses location information, and am very
interested in the candidate formats.

Is there a list of known formats?  pointers?

Regards,
Paul Knight

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:56:33 -0500

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tang-spatial-descriptive-location-00.txt

Paul Knight wrote:

> standardized format to recommend for use in representing location per
> se."  I am working on an I-D which uses location information, and am
> very interested in the candidate formats.
>

--
Behcet

---

From: Kenji Takahashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:25:20 +0900

We've been working on that.  A more generic one is the following.

"A Common Spatial Location Dataset" by Korkea-aho, Tang, Racz, Polk and
Takahashi.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-korkea-aho-spatial-dataset-01.t
xt

Kenji
NTT Labs.
Tokyo, Japan
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Behcet Sarikaya
  To: [email-masked]
  Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 1:56 AM
  Subject: Re: Geographic location representations?

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tang-spatial-descriptive-locati
on-00.txt
  Paul Knight wrote:

    Regards,
    Paul Knight

  --
  Behcet

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:47:05 -0700

> draft-korkea-aho-spatial-dataset-01.txt

for those of us who are easily confused, it would help if you could explain
where this document fits into the charter of the wg, which can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/geopriv-charter.html.  

is it

    In addition, the working group will select an already standardized
    format to recommend for use in representing location per se. A key task
    will be to enhance this format and protocol approaches using the
    enhanced format, to ensure that the security and privacy methods are
    available to diverse location-aware applications. Approaches to be
    considered will include (among others) data formats incorporating fields
    directing the privacy handling of the location information and possible
    methods of specifying variable precision of location.

thanks!

randy

---

From: Kenji Takahashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:37:29 +0900

We did not write the draft specifically for the charter.  But I think the
draft is related to the first sentence of the charter.  In my
understandings, there is a commonly used geodesic datum (i.e. WGS84) but not
an already standardized representation format which is universal and
interoperable.  I think that "selecting a format to represent location per
se" is not a simple task per se.

Regards,

Kenji