Subject: IPv6 address RE: combination of location and identity

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:44:05 +0300

Hi all,

Here are two drafts that came out.  Since the first draft is
proposing using location-based IP addressing, I wonder if this
has any impact upon this working group.

best regards,
John

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: An IPv6 Provider-Independent Global Unicast
Address 
                          Format
	Author(s)	: T. Hain
	Filename	: draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 03-Jul-01
	
This document defines an IPv6 Provider-Independent global unicast 
address format for use in the Internet.  The address format defined 
in this document is consistent with the IPv6 Protocol [2] and the 
'IPv6 Addressing Architecture' [3].  It is designed to facilitate 
scalable Internet routing when sites attach to multiple service 
providers, by using a prefix based on a geographic reference to the 
site. A natural byproduct of this address allocation mechanism is 
that all addresses are fixed allowing sites to change providers at 
will without requiring their network to renumber.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-00.txt

	Title		: Application and Use of the IPv6
Provider-Independent  
                          Global Unicast Address Format
	Author(s)	: T. Hain
	Filename	: draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 03-Jul-01
	
This document discusses the expected use of the address format 
discussed in the companion document [2] in the Internet. In addition 
to covering implementations where it adds value in managing the 
growth of the Internet routing tables, the document will discuss 
implementations which should be avoided due to the negative impact 
on the routing tables.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-00.txt

---

From: Reinaldo Penno <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:11:33 -0700

Hi,

to some extent we can do this today with the allocation based on the
registars (RIPE, LACNIC, ARIN), etc. Of course there are some class Bs (also
known as the "swamp") that are distributed all over the world without any
scheme.

And even if I have a global unicast address, I can move, so the problem
still persist. 

regards,

-RP

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 2:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IPv6 address RE: combination of location and identity

Hi all,

best regards,
John