Subject: location-based service scenarios

From: Kenji Takahashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:08:37 +0900

Hi,

I think, in first place, we need a common understanding on what are
location-based services to discuss security and privacy.  Generally
speaking, it is very difficult to discuss privacy issues if we do not know
how the privacy information is supposed to be used.

There are lots of so-called “location-based services” and people sometimes
call the same thing by different names.

For example, what is a “push” service?  Some people may say that the push
service is a location based “handbill” delivery – if you come close to a
pizza restaurant, you get a mail message about the restaurant.  Other people
may say the push service is a guardian service that periodically pushes
location information of kids.  The trust models are totally different in two
cases – in the former, the location information is anonymously sent to the
trusted party in a particular geographical area, but in the latter case the
location information is tracked by the trusted party.

Is anyone interested in this issue?

Regards,

Kenji