Subject: CFP: Distributed Communities on the Web

From: John Zic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 16:41:31 +1000

CFP: Distributed Communities on the Web
     The Fourth International Conference
     3-5 April 2002, UNSW, Sydney, Australia
     Springer-Verlag LNCS publication

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dcw2002

Distributed communities are self-configuring networks of mobile and
fixed people, devices and applications.  They are the natural next
step in the evolution of networked computing, after client-server,
Web-based and peer-to-peer computing. They facilitate not just
mobility of content to members, but also mobility of context.

To support communities on a wide scale requires developments at all
levels of computing, from low-level communication protocols supporting
transparent access to mobile components, through to distributed
operating
systems, through to high-level programming languages and models allowing
complex interactions between components, through to innovative
interactions
between people and their computing environment.

The DCW conference series brings together researchers interested
in the future development of electronic communities.
We call for contributions to DCW2002, including full or position
papers on theory or practice, and working demonstrations of
applications, tools, and software supporting real communities.

Important Dates

7   January  2002  Papers submitted
15  February 2002  Papers approved
18  March    2002  Papers placed on the Web
3-5 April    2002  Conference
30  April    2002  Final papers due

Themes and topics to be covered include, but are not restricted to:

  - Self-organizing communities
  - Intelligent environments and smart assistants
  - Context-aware computing
  - Communication protocols for distributed communities
  - GPS-enabled and other localization-supported communities
  - Global computing
  - Metadata, ontologies and the Semantic Web

  - New services for mobile communities
  - Real-time 3D environments and avatars
  - Trust building and risk management
  - QoS for effective virtual presence

  - Virtual communities for e-business, e-government and e-education
  - Human behavior and interaction in virtual communities
  - Electronic health villages
  - Bridging the digital divide through communities
  - Adapting communities to local cultures

  - Languages and tools supporting collaboration
  - Sharing content among community members
  - Sharing context across community devices
  - Delivering content to communities
  - Administration support for distributed communities
  - Resource management support

  - Applications and case studies

Conference organization

The DCW2002 conference will be organized to encourage as much
interaction
among participants as possible.  In addition to submitting full papers,
authors may submit shorter position papers summarizing new ideas or
emerging technologies.  Several weeks before the conference, the
preliminary
versions of the papers will be made available on the conference Web
site.
All participants will therefore have an opportunity to browse through
the
papers prior to arrival.  As a result, the conference should foster
stimulating and thoughtful discussion.  In addition, authors may take
the results of conference discussions into account when preparing the
final versions of their papers.

Awards for the best paper and the best demonstration will be given.

Submission

Full papers of up to 12 pages or position papers of up to 5 pages
must be submitted as PostScript documents interpretable by
Ghostscript, or as PDF documents interpretable by Adobe Acrobat
Reader.  They should be printable on both A4 and US-letter paper.
Submissions not meeting the above criteria may not be considered.
The full details about the format and submission procedure of the
papers are available at http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html

In exceptional situations, with prior arrangements with the conference
secretariat (see below), papers may be sent by surface mail.

Submissions must be made by 7 January 2002.  Receipt of submissions will
be made by electronic mail.  Authors are responsible for inquiring about
the lack of a proper acknowledgement.  Submissions lost or received late
due to unusual circumstances may not be considered.

All submissions will be fully refereed.  Acceptance notifications of
all papers will be sent by 15 February 2002.  The preliminary
version of the conference proceedings will be made available on this
Web site ahead of the conference, as well as to conference participants.
For a paper to be published in the final proceedings, at least one of
the authors must register and present that paper.

All accepted submissions will be published in the official conference
proceedings.  However, after a review by the program committee of the
oral presentations, certain authors of position papers will be asked
to extend their presentations to full-length papers for the official
proceedings.

The official proceedings will be published by Springer-Verlag, in the
Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.  Authors of papers placed in
the conference proceedings will be asked to sign Springer-Verlag
copyright release form http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/copyrigh.html

Contact details

    DCW 2002 Secretariat
    School of Computer Science and Engineering
    Building K17, Gate 14, Barker Street
    UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052
    Australia

    tel:  +61.2.9385.6012
    fax:  +61.2.9385.5770
    email: [email-masked]
    Web:   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dcw2002