Subject: Re: Terminology

From: Ajith Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:58:44 +0800

I think Kenji's case will map to having two "policy proponents",  one of
which is the company and the other, the employee.  Their privacy policies
are in conflict but the policy engine's resolution algorithm will determine
the correct outcome based on precedence rules given to it.  In the example
you provide, the company's policy is the one that takes precedence.  Does
that make sense ?

Cheers,
-- Ajith

--

Kenji Takahasi <[email-masked]> on 12/14/2001 11:23:07 AM

To:   John W Noerenberg II <[email-masked]>
cc:   Adam Shostack <[email-masked]>, "Rosen,    Brian"
      <[email-masked]>, Ajith Narayanan/Singapore/IBM@IBMSG,
      "'John Morris '" <[email-masked]>, "'geopriv'"
      <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: Terminology

> >I think your earlier example of using geopriv in conjunction with
> >inanimate carriers of targets is an example of where the split between
> >carry and assert matters.  The entity (say a shipping container)
> >doesn't care about its location privacy, but its owner may.
>
> It certainly matters in a legal sense.  But you can't incorporate
> this into the information flows affecting access decisions driven by
> a privacy policy function.  Once the parameters of the function have
> been determined, they can be evaluated by any proxy empowered to do
> so.
>
> We should be clear that the parameters are generated by the owner of
> the location data.  But having established that, the owner is not
> directly part of the model.  A legal formalism simply doesn't have a
> place in a network model.
>

I think that there is even more complicated case where my company provide
a cell phone with me.  The owner of the phone is clearly my company.
Privacy is in a sense "shared" by me and my company.  Obviously as a
foundamental human right, I think I can refuse to disclose my location,
whichs is almost identical to the cell phone's location.  On the other
hand, even if I would like to dislose my location to someone, the company
may not want me to do it because, for example, if I am a sales man, where
I am may be a trade secret (business territory).  Also there are a joint
ownership of location privcay - for example, those who in the same car.
Sorry but I have no clude for these problems....

Regards,

Kenji