Subject: RE: LO Option Proposal (was: Re: I-DACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lo-option-00.txt)

From: Martin Layley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:12:31 +0000

Sounds reasonable - a definitive database with at least one proposal for content.

		Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Linsner [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 22 January 2003 14:39
To: Henning Schulzrinne; [email-masked]
Subject: LO Option Proposal (was: Re:
I-DACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lo-option-00.txt)

It is obviously the sentiment that a field is needed to express map datum
used to derive the geo-loc data within the LO.  In a short search, it
appears there are ~260 different map datum.  There is a trend globally to
move towards WGS84, and several political entities have already made the
move.  One of the largest GPS manufacturers decided 5 years ago that only
~100 were necessary to load into their products.  So with this market data
in mind showing the diminishing use of all of the defined datum, I propose
that we add a 1 byte field to the LO and define code=1 to be WGS84 with the
remaining codes to be assigned by IANA via future requests.

Would this satisfy everyone's needs?

-Marc Linsner-

The mail message has been scanned by MAILsweeper
for content analysis.