Subject: Working Group Last Call: Location Configuration Information for GEOPRIV

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:51:40 -0700

This begins WGLC for Location Configuration Information for GEOPRIV,
draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lci-option-01.txt.  The WGLC will take place
in both the GEOPRIV and DHC WGs, and in consequence, will be allowed
three weeks rather than two, concluding Jul 10.

[Ralph: Please forward to DHC as I am not subscribed]

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:09:29 -0700

> [Ralph: Please forward to DHC as I am not subscribed]

I'm new to this list, and I have a question that is not directly specific to
this draft. 

If we are planning to use DHCP to deliver location information to the hosts,
what is the plan when DHCP is not used in an access network? Is this WG
considering proposing similar extensions for router advertisements (for
stateless address autoconfig case), or even PPP?

Just curious,

Alper

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:32:36 -0700

Alper,

DHCP is delivering Location Configuration Information (LCI) to a host
in this specification.  To use the terms from the requirements draft, the
host then can use the Location Information (LI) in a Location Object (LO) 
carried by a using protocol (with suitable privacy).  

On quick thought, I can't see technical reasons against something like
the DHCP LCI for PPP or IPv6 RAs.  But this WG does not have new LCI
drafts in our charter.  We had something of an exception to develop
the DHCP LCI.  The reasons included that the DHC WG had gone fairly far
in the work and it was referred to us.  The work also made a good proof-
of-concept for the requirements document.

If geoloc LCI work develops in other groups, it would need to be
well-integrated with the geopriv requirements.  This WG's major purpose 
now is to develop the Location Object, including its privacy support.

Allison