Subject: [Geopriv] Location objects

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:19:35 -0500

In many scenarios, there will be multiple sources of location 
information. I think it would be useful to label location data with an 
optional enumerated (not free text) source identifier, such as
   GPS
   A-GPS
   802.11 triangulation
   manual configuration
   location beacon
   geocoded (e.g., translated from geo to civil or vice versa)

There will be odd-ball scenarios that don't fit into any list of 
categories, but I suspect that the vast majority will be drawn from a 
relatively short and IANA-extensible list.

This allows systems processing this information to make better decisions 
when they get conflicting information, for example. By making the label 
explicit, we can then also make this part of the privacy rules.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Abbott, Nadine B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:36:18 -0500

An excellent suggestion.

In discussions with the National Emergency Number Association last fall, the
idea of having the source of the location information identified had strong
support.  
It might be useful (although perhaps not practical, given the limitations of
the DHCP signaling) to include an identifier/contact information for the
provider of the source location information, e.g., XYZ Wireless or ABC Map
Co, or maybe a URI for the same.

Nadine Abbott 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 1:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Geopriv] Location objects

Henning