Subject: [Geopriv] Geoshapes on OGC website

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:24:42 -0600

Hi All,

At long last you can access the official Geoshapes document from the OGC
website. Thanks to Martin Thomson and Carl Reed for making this happen.

http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/bp#06-142

Cheers
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:42:42 -0500

Completely OT, but they also have a Binary XML spec (BXML).   I just  
scanned it, and it looks very interesting.  My brief $0.02:  1) I  
would probably do a lot more than just skim this spec if I knew  
exactly which parts were patent encumbered and by whom.  2) One of my  
first questions was "Why not WBXML?", and there was a section that  
actually talked to that point and that I found very agreeable.  3)  
The compromise on the endianness thing gives the worst of both  
cases.  There is a lot, I mean a lot, of code out there that knows  
and does the right thing with network byte order.  Plus, there are  
far, far more cell phones than desktop computers, and they don't run  
x86.

-andy

---

From: "Carl Reed OGC Account" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:31:50 -0700

This document is totally IPR unencumbered. So it can be freely used with no 
worries about patents etc. As to why the OGC has this best practices 
document, well the folks who wrote it did so years ago before there were 
really any decent binary encoding schemes for XML. And there was a need to 
"compress" GML payloads. FYI, this particular XML binary encoding approach 
is being used by the aeronautical industry for encoding XML payloads for 
transmission to flight navigation systems in commercial airliners (new 
Airbus planes for example).

The W3C now has a group looking at a general approach for binary XML but not 
sure how far they have gotten. There is a draft.

Cheers

Carl

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Andrew Newton" <[email-masked]>
To: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "ECRIT" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Geoshapes on OGC website

> scanned it, and it looks very interesting.  My brief $0.02:  1) I  would 
> probably do a lot more than just skim this spec if I knew  exactly which 
> parts were patent encumbered and by whom.  2) One of my  first questions 
> was "Why not WBXML?", and there was a section that  actually talked to 
> that point and that I found very agreeable.  3)  The compromise on the 
> endianness thing gives the worst of both  cases.  There is a lot, I mean a 
> lot, of code out there that knows  and does the right thing with network 
> byte order.  Plus, there are  far, far more cell phones than desktop 
> computers, and they don't run  x86.
>
> -andy
>