Subject: [Geopriv] Review of IEEE802.11k

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:10:25 -0400

I have reviewed this document from an IETF geopriv and ecrit
perspective.  I have three comments
1. Section 7.3.2.21.9 Location Configuration Indication (LCI) Request
permits a LCI Subject Remote operation.  This is defined in the document
as: Remote LCI Measurement Request is used by requesting STA to obtain
the location of the reporting STA, asking "Where are you?".  As the LCI
carried by the 802.11k system is in raw form, without the privacy
ruleset, this is a very dangerous (in the privacy sense) operation.  I
recommend the entire option be deleted, but if it is kept, then the form
of the LCI should be changed to a full PIDF, including the ruleset.

2. In the same section, we find that the request can specify the desired
resolution it desires, separately for all three dimensions.  I would
like to understand the use case for this option.  I believe endpoints
always desire the most resolution they can get, and it is the
measurement methodology, and sometimes the policy of the server that
determines how much resolution is returned.  It is my opinion that these
parameters can be removed, thus simplifying the document and all
implementations.

3. While the mechanism specifies an RFC3825 compatible format for
location (geo), further work within the geopriv working group probably
favors using the PIDF form (PIDF-LO) rather than 3825, and probably
including the "shapes" work.

Brian

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv