Subject: [Geopriv] FW: New Non-WG Mailing List: paws -- Protocol to Access White Space database (PAWS)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 19:09:12 +0000

FYI

This new work is likely to make use of some of the technologies defined by these wgs.

-gabor

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:ietf-announce- 
>[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext IETF Secretariat
>Sent: 03 February, 2011 21:54
>To: IETF Announcement list
>Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: paws -- Protocol to Access White 
>Space database (PAWS)
>
>A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.
>
>List address: [email-masked]
>Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/paws/
>To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws
>
>Description:
>As nations struggle to provide spectrum in a finite swath of useful 
>spectrum, especially spectrum for use with wireless Internet bandwidth, 
>there are problems with incumbents in a given band. The incumbents may 
>use the spectrum inefficiently, especially geographically - there may 
>be large swaths of country where a particular band is not used at all, 
>and others where use is only in a portion of the band.
>
>Recently, techniques have been developed that attempt to share spectrum 
>between incumbents and new users. The generic term for this is "white 
>space". For example, in over the air TV bands, spectrum is divided into 
>channels, and in any one area, usually not all channels have TV 
>transmitters in range. There is a desire among many regulators to make 
>this prime spectrum available for Internet access and other uses, as 
>long as the new use does not interfere with the existing TV band use.
>
>Multiple database(s) are expected to exist which contains the 
>information about available channels for use at a given location. A 
>device is required to query the database for available channels and 
>associated information. There are several scenarios that the US 
>regulation permits which include a simple tower/client arrangement 
>where the tower queries the database on behalf of itself and its client 
>TVBDs as well as ad hoc mobile networks where at least one TVBD in the 
>ad hoc net has another path to the Internet and can query the database 
>with it.
>
>This BoF will explore the various aspects of specifying a messaging 
>interface betwen the devices and the database.
>
>For additional information, please contact the list administrators.
>
>_______________________________________________
>IETF-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce