Subject: [Geopriv] RFC 6155 on Use of Device Identity in HTTP-Enabled Location Delivery (HELD)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:12:48 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6155

        Title:      Use of Device Identity in 
                    HTTP-Enabled Location Delivery (HELD) 
        Author:     J. Winterbottom, M. Thomson,
                    H. Tschofenig, R. Barnes
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 58542
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-geopriv-held-identity-extensions-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6155.txt

When a Location Information Server receives a request for location
information (using the locationRequest message), described in the
base HTTP-Enabled Location Delivery (HELD) specification, it uses the
source IP address of the arriving message as a pointer to the
location determination process.  This is sufficient in environments
where the location of a Device can be determined based on its IP
address.

Two additional use cases are addressed by this document.  In the
first, location configuration requires additional or alternative
identifiers from the source IP address provided in the request.  In
the second, an entity other than the Device requests the location of
the Device.

This document extends the HELD protocol to allow the location request
message to carry Device identifiers.  Privacy and security
considerations describe the conditions where requests containing
identifiers are permitted.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC