Subject: [Geopriv] Protocol Action: 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Options for Coordinate-based Location Configuration Information' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-geopriv-rfc3825bis-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:13:05 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Options for Coordinate-based
   Location Configuration Information'
  (draft-ietf-geopriv-rfc3825bis-17.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-geopriv-rfc3825bis/

Technical Summary

This document is an update to the DHCP option format for coordinate-
based geolocation (RFC 3825). It clarifies the geospatial meaning of
the option, and adds an alternative interpretation (signaled by a
version field) that is more suitable for many use cases. While RFC
3825 applies only to DHCPv4, this document adds support for DHCPv6.

Working Group Summary

There is fairly wide consensus in the working group that this document
provides useful clarifications and extensions to the current RFC 3825
format for geolocation in DHCP.

Document Quality

The document has been reviewed by key participants from the GEOPRIV
working group. 

Personnel

Richard Barnes is the document shepherd. Robert Sparks is the responsible Area Director.