Subject: [GROW] Proposal to close grow working group

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:45:30 -0700

Hi,

Recently, the Operations and Management Area Directors and Geoff
discussed the future of the grow working group since Geoff had
indicated to us that he would like to step down as working group
chair.

After review of recent activity and the milestones, it was quite clear
that the working group has concluded all the milestones on the
charter.

We understand that, as with some of the deployment oriented working
groups in the the Operations Area, that it is not uncommon to have new
issues and topics arise that could fit in the charter despite the fact
that all current milestones have been achieved.

On the other hand, as with all IETF working groups, there comes a time
to conclude a working group and we believe that we have reached that
point now. We plan on effectuating this plan on Wed, March 21 if we
don't receive any comments that will change our mind. We would also
like to close the mailing list as we believe that the ops-area wide
mailing list is a good place to do any follow up discussion if
necessary.

As mentioned earlier, we do want to stress that the fact that there is
no working group any longer that deals with operational issues
regarding scaling in the routing system doesn't mean that the
Operations Area is not a good place to discuss such issues. In fact,
we would like to emphasize that we are quite open to sponsor
individual submissions when the need arises (eg. we are happy to take
on draft-ietf-grow-mrt as an individual submission), or even spin up a
new working group if we are dealing with a bigger project.

In addition, we are bringing up a proposal to the Operations and
Management Open Area meeting that it is perhaps time to form an
"Operations and Management" working group that can fulfill a last
resort role for documents that are considered important but that don't
necessarily fit in any of our working groups. We envision that some of
the contributions that would have fit in the grow working group can be
taken up by such a working group.

Also, the IETF as whole is now giving extra attention to the topic of
routing and addressing, which might very well lead to new working
groups that will be active in this or other areas. We obviously
hope that many of you will participate in these discussions as well.

Finally, we would like to thank Geoff, all the former chairpeople and
obviously all the document authors and contributors to this working
group for all the time they have given to this effort.

Thanks!

David & Dan
---

_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow