Subject: Re: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-bmp-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:14:19 -0700

Comments inline marked [tte] 

> Tim, 
> Thanks for your comments.
Your suggestions for the Initiation Message look like good stuff. I
would like to encourage the WG to brainstorm whether there are any other
items to add to the laundry list (without boiling the ocean, please).
I'd also like to encourage any interested party including you to Send
Text if you've a mind to.

[tte] I was thinking something like: 
1)
product_model="ASR1004" or product_model="MX960" 
2)
hostname="myrouter.my.fqdn.com" 
3) software_version="JUNOS 10.4R6.5" or
software_version="IOS-XE 15.1(2)S2" 
4a) peer_description="External:NTT,
Speed:20G, intf:AE4" 
4b) peer_group_name="EXTERNAL-NTT" 
4c)
rr_client="false" 
4d-1) policy:"route-map NTT-from in; route-map NTT-to
out; filter-list 25 in; filter-list 35 out, prefix-list std-in in,
prefix-list std-out out" 
 OR 
4d-2) policy:"import [ NTT-IN EXTERNAL-IN
]; export [ NTT-OUT EXTERNAL-OUT ]" 

> The next hop thing is
interesting, but I have to ask: can't you pull it out of the IGP
already? The reason we built BMP was because you just couldn't get the
info you need by BGP peering with the router, so we had to come up with
another way to externalize it. This is not the case with the next hop
stuff, is it? I would prefer not to reinvent wheels if we can avoid
it.

[tte] Yeah, the next hop items are really to do a path selection of
the Adj-In RIB information received from the BMP sender. NH SAFI is
interesting and does appear to address the information, but it requires
a BGP peer to the BMP router. I suppose this could work in lieu of
having this conveyed in BMP. 

Thanks, 
Tim