Subject: [GROW] RFC 6774 on Distribution of Diverse BGP Paths

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:47:13 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6774

        Title:      Distribution of Diverse BGP Paths 
        Author:     R. Raszuk, Ed.,
                    R. Fernando, K. Patel,
                    D. McPherson, K. Kumaki
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 48316
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6774.txt

The BGP4 protocol specifies the selection and propagation of a single
best path for each prefix.  As defined and widely deployed today, BGP
has no mechanisms to distribute alternate paths that are not
considered best path between its speakers.  This behavior results in a 
number of disadvantages for new applications and services.

The main objective of this document is to observe that by simply
adding a new session between a route reflector and its client, the Nth best
path can be distributed.  This document also compares existing solutions
and proposed ideas that enable distribution of more paths than just
the best path.

This proposal does not specify any changes to the BGP protocol
definition.  It does not require a software upgrade of provider edge (PE)
routers acting as route reflector clients.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC