Subject: [GROW] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-grow-large-communities-usage-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 05:19:53 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-grow-large-communities-usage-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-large-communities-usage/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

   BGP Large Communities [RFC8092] provide a mechanism to signal opaque
   information between Autonomous Systems (ASs). 

Not only "between": BGP communities might also be used inside an AS, as
you described in the "informational communities"

As mentioned by Jouni in his OPS-DIR review:
One minor nit I have relates to management & administration to the
large communities functions and description of their semantics. Are
those maintained somewhere? If there are existing repositories,
documentation, etc it would be nice to point out those. The document
now hints to NANOG and NLNOG..

---

From: heasley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 15:30:41 +0000

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-large-communities-usage/

true; "and within" - would you pen that, job?

> now hints to NANOG and NLNOG..

They are not cataloged anywhere.  I think that you are interpretting
this draft to be more than an example of how one might use Large
Communities, that it is standardizing the Local Data fields, which is
not the case.  These values are defined by and have significance to
the ASN/Global Admin in the first field of the Large Comm.

Does this address the comment?

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 17:46:36 +0200

Thanks for addressing my comment.

Regards, B.
> .