Subject: Re: [GROW] call for adoption draft-evens-grow-bmp-local-rib

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 14:34:38 -0400

Job,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:37:32AM +0200, Job Snijders wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 01:57:39PM +0000, Peter Schoenmaker wrote:
> > This is the call for adoption of draft-evens-grow-bmp-local-rib.  This
> > was presented at the working group meeting in Chicago.  The call for
> > adoption will close the 3rd of May 2017.
> > 
> > The document is located at : https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-evens-grow-bmp-local-rib/
> > 
> > Please review the document, and provide comments to the list.  Please
> > note there are two similar documents with separate calls for adoption.
> > draft-evens-grow-bmp-local-rib, and draft-evens-grow-bmp-adj-rib-out.
> 
> I support adoption of this draft.
> 
> Right now NTT has route collectors hanging off the ASBRs as IBGP clients
> and stores the received UPDATE messages in MRT format. For the purposes
> of monitoring the state of the network, a BMP-driven approach would be
> much cleaner, as it properly separates normal operations from monitoring
> operations.

I want to offer some caveats here.

Some implementations run BMP in "mirror" mode, some in monitor mode.  Both
are subject to loss or state compression.

This may be perfectly fine since iBGP itself will suffer from state
compression.  I mention it merely because some expectations of MRT use are
that there's perfect packet mirroring.

-- Jeff