Subject: I/O QoS Model Selector

From: Rose Tsang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:42:37 -0500 (CDT)

The I/O QoS Model Selector fields are not clearly described
in the spectification.

For example, on page 24, "If a valid Reservation ID is
specified and the Service Model is used (i.e., IQS/OQS=0b10)".
From examining the figure showing the message format,
the IQS is a 2 bit field and the OQS is a 2 bit field,
but "IQS/OQS" cannot refer to these 2-bit fields, eventhough
they have the same name???  So do they really refer to the
32-bit Input Service Selector and 32 bit Output Service
Selector fields?  What is the format of these two 32 bit
fields???  Chapter 10 describes how service IDs are used
to identify different service definitions, but where
are the service IDs speicified in the GSMP message?
The only reference to where they belong in the GSMP message
is in the 2nd sentence of Section 10.1: "The requested Service
is identified by including a Service ID in the Add Branch 
Message".  Where?????

Thanks for your help in advance,
Rose Tsang

---

From: "Avri Doria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:00:54 -0400

Hi,

Thanks for your note.

The issue you raise is related to the one of the comments we received
during the last call.  The reference to IQS, OQS and selectors is not 
clear.  It will be rewritten.
Briefly IQS/OQS definition refers to both 2 bit fields.
If IQS = 0b10 then the Input Service Selector is defined by the ch 10
service model. Likewise, if the OQS = 0b10 then the Output Service 
Selector is defined by the chapter 10 service model.

Also, you are correct about the description being difficult to follow
(something we MUST fix) The service selector referred to on page 23-24 
corresponds to the service ID plus the capability set ID.  This is 
described in chapter 8 on page 87 as a 16 bit field (unlike the 32 bit
field shown on page 24.  The service IDs are defined in  ch 10, and the
capability set ids are defined by the system administrator outside of
GSMP.   This is definitely not clear at the moment.

It is obvious that we need to review these sections and do a few 
things including bringing the field descriptions into alignment 
and adding a section to the beginning of the doc where commonly used 
fields are listed to explain the service selector field.

Thanks for bringing this up.

a.

-- 

Avri Doria
+1 401 663 5024