Subject: Draft of the proposed new charter for GSMP

From: "Avri Doria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:32:20 -0400

Hi,

I have attached a copy of the charter changes which are being
proposed for submission to the ADs.  A discussion of these is
scheduled for Friday's WG meeting.

As you will notice, there are currently three primary subject areas 
that are being proposed for further work: 
  support for switch partitioning 
  support of optical switches
  support of IP packet switches

If there any issues with the subject areas being proposed, please 
let the list know, and/or come to the meeting for the discussion.
Also, if there are any other areas that anyone thinks should 
be included, please let the list know as soon as possible.   

Regards
a.

-- 

Avri Doria
+1 401 663 5024

GSMP WG Re-Charter

The base General Switch Management Protocol(GSMPv3) protocol
has been completed and is about to enter the standards process.
The GSMP protocol provides switch configuration control and 
reporting, port management, connection control, QoS and 
traffic engineering control and the reporting of statistics 
and asynchronous events for label switch devices.

The working group is responsible for completing the standardization
of the GSMP protocol. The working group is now defining mechanisms
for control of specific additional switch capabilities and types.  
Current plans for further work include: defining mechanisms for
switch partitioning, adding support for optical switching, and 
defining mechanisms for control of IP packet switches.

Since GSMP can be used as an adjunct to the MPLS protocol,
the group will continue to co-ordinate with the MPLS group to make
sure that the primitives required by a MPLS controller are available in the
protocol.  Additionally there will cooperation with the IP over Optical
WG.

Milestones (need projected dates):

- Document requirements for switch partitioning

- Document requirements for control of optical switches

- Document requirements for control of IP packet switches

- Produce GSMP extensions, MIBs, and PIBs to support the requirements

- Update base GSMPv3 as implementation experience mandates