Subject: Forces-GSMP overlap

From: Jaroslaw Sydir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:27:05 -0800

Hello folks. At the FORCES BOF and the GSMP WG meeting last week there
was discussion about a potential overlap in the proposed work of the two
groups, specifically with respect to the control of IP devices. I
believe that although some overlap exists, it is not the case that both
groups are aiming to do exactly the same thing.

I think that the two groups are approaching the problem at two different
levels. FORCES is approaching the problem at a lower level. At this
level can be defined protocols between the FEs and CEs (forces
terminology). These protocols would allow the FEs and CEs to discover
each other and allow the CE to program the FEs. In this model, it is
possible that the CE be in a physically separate location from the FE,
but in practice its not clear that it makes sense to build a network
element without even a minimal control entity. It does make sense to
build an NE with a minimal CE which speaks the CE-FE protocols and acts
as a GSMP slave (or whatever NE control protocol you wish to use).

This brings up the higher level protocol, which is the focus of the GSMP
WG. This higher level protocol is a protocol for controlling a complete
NE. This is the purpose of GSMP (for switched devices). This type of
protocol provides the flexibility to deploy the control plane on or off
board the network elements. It is this level of protocol that the GSMP
WG would produce for IP devices under the "extend to deal with IP
routers" item in the proposed charter.

Now, even though the two groups are talking about two slightly different
sets of protocol, I believe that some of the primitives (objects,
TLVs...) used by the two protocols might be the same. Specifically they
should both deal with the creation/configuration of fileters, meters,
schedulers, queues, etc. So I think that the work can go on in two
groups, but that the groups should coordinate their efforts in defining
these low level primitives.

Jerry Sydir

---

From: Rose Tsang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:28:16 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

Where can I get more information on FORCES?  I did a web search and
found one document: "Requirements for Separation of IP Control and
Forwarding", Internet Draft by T. Anderson.  I take it that FORCES
is a relatively new endeavor? Is any other information
available?

Thanks,
Rose Tsang

---

From: "tom worster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:46:01 -0500

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
Behalf Of Rose Tsang
> 
> Where can I get more information on FORCES?  

http://ietf.org/ietf/00dec/forces-agenda.txt
http://www.sstanamera.com/~forces