Subject: [GSMP] (no subject)

From: "Carlos Fernandez Cepeda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 12:11:59 +0200

Dear sir, 
 
Good afternoon,
I belong to the optical communication group of UPC in Catalonia (Spain).
Nowadays, me and my group are working in a project related to which
protocol use in the interface between OCC and Optical CrossConnect in
ASONs Networks.
 
So, we are thinking on implementing GSMPv3 with optical requirements but
we have some doubts related to its utility.
 
Therefore, we have studied all the documents related to gsmp, and we
have found an important doubt in your draft-cha-gsmp-management-01.txt
(www.ietf.org/proceedings/02nov/ slides/gsmp-1/gsmp-1.ppt)
 
You specify two places where network management can be located: switch
or controller. So, I can see a SNMP agent that is located in the
controller because of several aspects you say. But me and my group have,
may be, a misunderstanding. If later, you say it is necessary to specify
several functions of a MIB for SNMP in the agent to perform GSMP
functions, it indicates that SNMP in the controller makes a function of
translation to the GSMP master in the controller.
 
My question is simple: why don´t you specify a scheme compose of two
agents SNMP like the figure?
 
                                Controller 
 
+------------------------------------+ 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  | 
                                        |  |          Coordinator
|  | 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  | 
                                        |       ^         ^          ^
| 
                                        |       +-------+ | +--------+
| 
                         +---------+  | |  +---------+  | | |
+----------+  | 
                         |   NMS   |--+-|--|  SNMP   |<-+ | +->|  CR-LDP
|  | 
                         +---------+  | |  |  Agent  |    |    |
RSVP-TE |  | 
                                        |  +---------+    v
+----------+  | 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  |  
                                        |  |               |  | 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  | 
 
+------------------------------------+ 
                                                           |  
                                                          -+- 
                                         Label Switch      |  
 
+------------------------------------+ 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  |  
                                        |  |         SNMP agent        |
| 
                                        |  |             |  | 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  | 
                                        |          |             ^
| 
                                        |          v             |
| 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  |  
                                        |  | ------------
------------- |  | 
                                        |  |    Switch    X   Fabric
|  | 
                                        |  | ------------
------------- |  | 
                                        |
+------------------------------+  | 
 
+------------------------------------+ 

If you have to specify the MIB for all the functions of GSMP (that
includes several of reservation related to RSVP), and make an operation
of "translation" between the language of the protocols, why you don´t
use a single protocol? That is to say that you are going to use the
functions of GSMP but using only one protocol (SNMP), that is more
extended.

For now it is enough
 
Thanks very much for your help. This information will be very inportant
for the improvement the project because we have to choose between the
scheme SNMP-GSMP or SNMP-SNMP (the one I am specified to you)
 
Yours sincerely
 
Carlos Fernandez Cepeda
Group of Optical Communications
UPC