Subject: RE: [Hipsec] Question about Mobile Router support in HIP

From: "Ahrenholz, Jeffrey M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:50:40 -0800

Joseph,
It looks like nobody has yet answered your question. Maybe you could
mention which papers you are referring to, and what you mean by "Mobile
Router" (i.e., MIP?). However, this working group is chartered to define
the "minimal infrastructure elements"
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/hip-charter.html) for end-to-end HIP,
and perhaps your question is more suitable for the HIP-RG
(http://www.irtf.org/charters/hip.html). HIP routing using HI/HITs
sounds like an architectural topic of study.

-Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 4:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Hipsec] Question about Mobile Router support in HIP

Dear All,
    I have read some papers mentioned that Mobile Router is not
supported in HIP at this moment. In my understanding, the packet is
routered by IP but not HI/HIT. Why can't we use current mobile router
for HIP at this moment? What makes HIP not able to support current
mobile router? Thanks a lot.
Yours faithfully,
Joseph
_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://honor.trusecure.com/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: "Joseph" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:37:21 +1100

Thanks a lot. In T. R. Henderson, et al., "Experience with the host identity
protocol for secure host mobility and multihoming," presented at Wireless
Communications and Networking, 2003. WCNC 2003. 2003 IEEE, 2003,
It mentions that "However, Mobile IP offers potential advantages when entire
subnets (routers) are mobile, where HIP is not deployed, or where
infrastructure to support pervasive IPsec has not been deployed. " I think
that  the entire subnets (routers) are mobile, is talking about the "Mobile
Router".  So I want to know more about how the scenario it is of current HIP
when  the subnet is mobile. In my mind, all the packet are router by IP
addresses, HI / HIT is only for host identity only, so that subnet is mobile
or not should not be affected. But the paper seems to say HIP cannot work
property when the subnet is mobile
Thanks a lot.

Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahrenholz, Jeffrey M [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 11:51 AM
To: Joseph; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Hipsec] Question about Mobile Router support in HIP

Joseph,
It looks like nobody has yet answered your question. Maybe you could mention
which papers you are referring to, and what you mean by "Mobile Router"
(i.e., MIP?). However, this working group is chartered to define the
"minimal infrastructure elements"
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/hip-charter.html) for end-to-end HIP, and
perhaps your question is more suitable for the HIP-RG
(http://www.irtf.org/charters/hip.html). HIP routing using HI/HITs sounds
like an architectural topic of study.

-Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 4:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Hipsec] Question about Mobile Router support in HIP

Dear All,