Subject: Re: [Hipsec] Draft: ESP usage in HIP

From: Petri Jokela <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:21:07 +0300

Petri Jokela wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Henderson, Thomas R wrote:
>> - I did not find the new conceptual protocols helpful-- to me, it seems
>> unnecessary to add this terminology, unless you have some downstream
>> plan to do something different with these packet exchanges.  Wording
>> such as "In a typical implementation, the parameters are included in R1,
>> I2, and R2" seems to suggest that atypical implementations also may
>> exist that include these parameters in other messages, and that we
>> therefore have to be prepared for all possible situations, which I don't
>> think is what is intended.  I would suggest using the explicit R1, I2,
>> R2, and UPDATE names for the packets instead of HES and HER.
> 
> 
> The idea was that we do not bind the required information exchange to 
> these particular HIP packets. Perhaps we could set up the ESP Security 
> Association afterwards using UPDATE messages. I must admit that I have a 
> similar feeling that the current text is not very reader friendly.

I'm working on the next version of the ESP draft. There have been some 
comments for and against the HES / HER conseptual protocols, but not too 
many. With the current definition we could allow the ESP SA 
establishment also in later phase, using UPDATE messages.

If I have understood correctly, there were not too many comments related 
to this issue during last IETF meeting. Any comments now? Leave it like 
it is now, or change it so that the setup is done during base exchange.

In general, I'm changing the structure of the draft a bit, based on 
Tom's feedback that was earlier on the list.

/petri

-- 
Petri Jokela                        Tel:    +358 9 299 2413
Research scientist                  Fax:    +358 9 299 3535
NomadicLab, Ericsson Research       Mobile: +358 44 299 2413
Oy L M Ericsson Ab                  email: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://honor.trusecure.com/mailman/listinfo/hipsec