Subject: Re: [Hipsec] comments on the WGLC drafts

From: Petri Jokela <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:44:49 +0300

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 15:17 -0700, Henderson, Thomas R wrote:
> I read through them this weekend again and think they are in good shape
> to move forward.  A few minor points below to add to the final "issues"
> list:
> 
> Base draft
> ----------

> Appendices A and B probably can be deleted at this time, or edited
> (perhaps combined into a combined informative appendix "Probabilities
> on certain HIP computations".  At the very least, Appendix B reads like
> it was copied and pasted from an email message and should be edited.
> 

The Appendix B refers to the old limit 2^K when cookie solution is
calculated. That value has not been around for a long time (not since
draft -00). Current draft limits calculation to the puzzle lifetime:
When the puzzle lifetime expires, the Initiator shoud give up and
restart the HIP negotiation. 

Thus, in the current form, Appendix B does not give any relevant
information. It should be completely rewritten, taking into account the
puzzle lifetime that is not a fixed value, but decided by the
Responder.    

In Appendix A, when the Type 2 HIT is dropped from the draft, the only
information will be the HIT collision probability related to 120-bit
HITs:

0.001% probability with 5*10^15 hosts. 

I vote for dropping the appendices A and B from the draft. 

/petri

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec