Subject: RE: FW: [Hipsec] HIP questions

From: "DONG Song RD-ILAB-LON" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:59:24 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Julien Laganier [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 10 August 2005 17:29
To: [email-masked]
Cc: DONG Song RD-ILAB-LON
Subject: Re: FW: [Hipsec] HIP questions

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 17:46, DONG Song RD-ILAB-LON wrote:
>
> Whether using DNS or RVS, as I said is to provide the translation
> information to the server or the correspondent node (CN). RVS happens
> similarly to the Routing Optimisation in IPv6 by binding with CN
> directly. Even with RVS, you still need to report your presence to the
> DNS server in order for another person to connect you. The information
> in the DNS also needs freshly updated.

When you use a RVS, you don't report your presence to the DNS nor do you
updated it regularly. You just happen to store your RVS's IP address or
FQDN, and then you only update the RVS with your current location.

To me, it is the same as to register with the HA using CoA (the foreign
agent's address) in mobile ip. If you move within the same FA area, you
don't need to register with you HA regularly.

> I didn't say MIP brings more security than HIP. Actually, it has no
> security except registration authentication. MIP plus IPsec can does
> the same as HIP is trying to do. Perhaps MIP could absorb the idea of
> Host Identifier (public key) to enhance itself, but definitely not by
> introducing another name space for the transport layer to use.

Well... In your first email you also wrote "all socket APIs must be
rewritten to support HI addresses."

First there's are no such HI addresses. There are HIs, HITs, and IP
addresses. And as a matter of a fact, the mail client with which I write
this message sits on vanilla socket API and TCP/IP stack (i.e.
unmodified), in which HITs and IPv6 addresses have lived happily
together in the same data structures for now more than three years.

I am not surprised it works ok as the HIT has the same length with a
IPv6 address (128 bits). Of course you can reutilise it if you have a
IPv6 stack or dual stack. But does anybody have it?

--Song

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec