Subject: [Hipsec] Question about "Preferred locator" and Mobility in HIP

From: "Joseph So" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:21:12 +1000

Dear All,

           I'm studying the mobility management scenario of HIP in different
scenarios recently. When I read the ID of Mobility and Multi-homing, in
section 3.3.3 Preferred locator, it said that multiple locators for failover
only. If a host and its peer have 2 network-interface-cards, can the host
create 2 connections from 2 different network cards to its peer (not for the
load-balancing, just duplicate the packages, ie 2 connections sending out
the same packages at the same time.) by current HIP? If yes, which package I
should look in? I have also read the hip-base, but it didn't mention
anything about it.

           Thanks a lot.

Joseph

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:11:29 +0200

> I’m studying the mobility management scenario of HIP in different  
> scenarios recently. When I read the ID of Mobility and Multi- 
> homing, in section 3.3.3 Preferred locator, it said that multiple  
> locators for failover only.

IIRC, the draft also encourages you to experiment with using multiple  
locators at the same time.

The main issue is that TCP is likely to behave badly if you have lots  
of packet reordering.

> If a host and its peer have 2 network-interface-cards, can the host  
> create 2 connections from 2 different network cards to its peer  
> (not for the load-balancing, just duplicate the packages, ie 2  
> connections sending out the same packages at the same time.) by  
> current HIP? If yes, which package I should look in? I have also  
> read the hip-base, but it didn’t mention anything about it.

I don't know what you mean with packages.

--Pekka

---

From: "Joseph So" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:33:38 +0200 (MEST)

Dear Pekka,
  Thanks for your answer. Please see inline.
> --- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
> Von: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
> An: Joseph So <[email-masked]>
> Kopie: <[email-masked]>
> Betreff: Re: [Hipsec] Question about "Preferred locator" and Mobility in
> HIP
> Datum: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:11:29 +0200
> 
For example,  Host A  got 2 NIC, NIC_A1 and NIC_A2, and Host B got 2 NIC,
NIC_B1 and  NIC_B2. Is it possible NIC_A1 <=> NIC_B1 and NIC_A2<=>NIC_B2 at
the same time (Not for the load balancing, these 2 connections are
idenitical, sending the same packets.) by current HIP?

Thanks a lot

(Sorry for my poor English)
Joseph

-- 
Lust, ein paar Euro nebenbei zu verdienen? Ohne Kosten, ohne Risiko!
Satte Provisionen für GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:53:36 +0200

> idenitical, sending the same packets.) by current HIP?

Yes, you can create SAs for A1-B1, A1-B2, A2-B1, and A2-B2  
communication.
You just need to know the consequences.

I don't understand why would you like to double your network traffic.
Remember, every packet in the network costs *something* even though
the marginal cost of a single packet is typically very close to zero.

--Pekka