Subject: [Hipsec] WG Review: Recharter of Host Identity Protocol (hip)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Host Identity Protocol
(hip) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF. The IESG has not
made any determination as yet. The modified charter is provided below 
for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG 
mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 23rd.

+++

Host Identity Protocol (hip)
----------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
David Ward <[email-masked]> 
Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> 
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Advisor:
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hipsec/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Host Identity Protocol (HIP) provides a method of separating the
end-point identifier and locator roles of IP addresses. It introduces
a new Host Identity (HI) name space, based on public keys. The public
keys are typically, but not necessarily, self generated.

There are five publicly known interoperating HIP implementations, some
of which are open source.

Currently, the HIP base protocol works well with any pair of
co-operating end-hosts. However, to be more useful and more widely
deployable, HIP needs some support from the existing infrastructure,
including the DNS, and a new piece of infrastructure, called the HIP
rendezvous server. Additionally, in order to facilitate experimenting
with HIP, there is a need to study the interactions of HIP with legacy
NATS and legacy applications, and to describe an API for HIP.

+----------------------------------------------------------+
| The purpose of this Working Group is to define the |
| minimal elements that are needed for HIP experimentation |
| on a wide scale. |
+----------------------------------------------------------+

In particular, the objective of this working group is to complete the
base protocol specification, define one or more DNS resource records
for storing HIP related data, complete the existing work on basic
mobility and multi-homing, complete the work on NATs and on APIs, and
produce Experimental RFCs for these.

Note that even though the specifications are chartered for
Experimental, it is understood that their quality and security
properties should match the standards track requirements. The main
purpose for producing Experimental documents instead of standards
track ones are the unknown effects that the mechanisms may have on
applications and on the Internet in the large.

There is a roughly parallel, though perhaps considerably broader, IRTF
Research Group that includes efforts both on developing the more
forward looking aspects of the HIP architecture and on exploring the
effects that HIP may have on applications and the Internet.

Goals and Milestones:

Mark as "Done" the following existing milestones:

Oct 2005 WGLC the HIP registration extensions specification
Oct 2005 WGLC the HIP DNS resource record(s) specification
Oct 2005 WG LC on the basic HIP rendezvous mechanism specification.
Nov 2005 Submit the ESP usage specification to the IESG for Experimental
Nov 2005 Submit the base protocol specification to the IESG for
Experimental
Nov 2005 WG LC on the HIP basic mobility and multi-homing specification.
Dec 2005 Submit the HIP registration extensions specification for
Experimental
Dec 2005 Submit the HIP DNS resource record(s) specification to the
IESG for Experimental.
Dec 2005 Submit the HIP basic mobility and multihoming specification
to the IESG for Experimental.
Dec 2005 Submit the basic HIP rendezvous mechanism specification to
the IESG for Experimental.

Add the following new milestones:

Jan 2007 WGLC Legacy NAT traversal specification
Jan 2007 WGLC Legacy Application Interworking specification
Jan 2007 WGLC Native API specification
Mar 2007 Submit the Legacy NAT traversal specification to the IESG
Mar 2007 Submit the Legacy Application Interworking specification to
the IESG
Mar 2007 Submit Native API specification to the IESG

Change the date of the following milestone to "Apr 2007"

Jan 2006 Recharter or close the WG

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec