Subject: [Hipsec] HIP DEX Aggresive Transmission Mechanism

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:20:45 -0400

HIP BEX has been observed to behave poorly (or so I am told) on networks 
with packet loss.

HIP DEX will be used on networks with high packet loss, and MUST perform 
well.  So I have developed an Aggresive Transmission Mechanism for DEX.  
Think if you want this added to 5201-bis.

Here is the text from the DEX ID:

    HIP DEX may be used on networks with high packet loss.  DEX deals
    with this by using an aggressive transmission practice for I1 and I2
    packets.  The Initiator SHOULD continually send I1 and I2 packets at
    some short interval t msec, based on local policy.  The transmission
    stops on receipt of the corresponding R1 or R2 packet, which acts as
    an acknowledgment receipt.

    Since the Responder is stateless until it receives an I2, it does not
    need any special behaviour on sending R1 other than to send one
    whenever it receives an I1.  The Responder sends an R2 after receipt
    every I2.  The Responder does need to know that R2 was received
    by the Initiator.  It can learn this by NOT receiving any I2 packets
    after sending R2 after waiting the interval t msec that was in I2.

    The Initator SHOULD NOT send any datagrams for the interval t msec
    after receipt of R2 to ensure that the Responder has transitioned to
    the ESTABLISHED state.

=========================================

Comments, of course, are welcome and invited.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:55:32 -0400

hmmm. On further study of the HIP BEX state machine, one slight change...

On 06/23/2010 03:20 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> HIP BEX has been observed to behave poorly (or so I am told) on 
> networks with packet loss.
>
> HIP DEX will be used on networks with high packet loss, and MUST 
> perform well. So I have developed an Aggresive Transmission Mechanism 
> for DEX. Think if you want this added to 5201-bis.
>

BEX learns this when R starts receiving data. That should also work for 
DEX. One less change.

> _______________________________________________
> Hipsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec
>