Subject: [HOKEY] EAP Transport

From: Charles Clancy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:31:16 -0500

At the interim meeting, we considered different mechanisms for
transporting the HOKEY protocol.  There was consensus for defining new
EAP packet types.  The three considered approaches were:

  - non-EAP (e.g. over 802.1X and AAA)
  - EAP packet code based
  - EAP method based

Non-EAP transports were dismissed because there would be significant
effort to define transport protocols, especially since most NASes only
allow EAP packets to be transported before the port is available.

There was consensus that EAP method-based transport would not meet the
"lower latency" requirement in the charter.

There was consensus to use EAP packet codes, as they allowed us to
minimize our latency without having to define a new transport protocol.

There was consensus to not do both EAP method and EAP code-based
transport, as supporting both would not provide a sufficient upgrade
path to make it useful.

-- 
t. charles clancy, ph.d.  <>  [email-masked]  <>  www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy

_______________________________________________
HOKEY mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hokey