Subject: [homegate] Meeting time in Stockholm?

From: "Heather Kirksey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 18:14:38 -0500

When the BoF proposal was declined, there was some talk of a bar BoF or
meeting time being allocated in Stockholm to discuss some of the issues
and to better prepare for a BoF in Hiroshima. There's been a fair amount
of exploder discussion on various topics since then, but I'm not sure I
ever saw any concrete decision to make use of any meeting time.  Is
there interest in doing so? Is there an update that I missed (entirely
possible)?  

Thanks,

Heather

Heather Kirksey

Director, Product & Technology Strategy

Motive Product Division

Alcatel-Lucent

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

+1.512.531.1126 (office)

+1.512.917.7938 (mobile)

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:29:32 -0700

It would indeed be good to have a bar BoF so that we can get the charter and deliverables a bit more solid. Are people interested in picking an evening right after the IETF and we can go to a local bar with food (since none of us will have had dinner)?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:35:05 +0200

On 13 jul 2009, at 23:29, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> It would indeed be good to have a bar BoF so that we can get the  
> charter and deliverables a bit more solid. Are people interested in  
> picking an evening right after the IETF and we can go to a local bar  
> with food (since none of us will have had dinner)?

To help scheduling, I've set up a doodle. Fill in when you're  
available after the last session/plenary (which is _during_ the social  
on tuesday):

http://www.doodle.com/32b5xhqp6e94vvnt

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:40:55 -0400

We¹re tentatively planning a bar BoF for Monday night, more details to
follow as we work on a venue and so on.

Jason

On 7/8/09 7:14 PM, "Heather Kirksey" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> meeting time being allocated in Stockholm to discuss some of the issues and to
> better prepare for a BoF in Hiroshima. There¹s been a fair amount of exploder
> discussion on various topics since then, but I¹m not sure I ever saw any
> concrete decision to make use of any meeting time.  Is there interest in doing
> so? Is there an update that I missed (entirely possible)?
>  
> Thanks,
> Heather
>

---

From: Lawrence Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:33:22 +0100

Livingood, Jason wrote:
> We’re tentatively planning a bar BoF for Monday night, more details to 

Who's we, and is there any reason why these plans can't be 
discussed/fleshed out on the list? (Please forgive me if it's buried in 
one of the threads I haven't got to reading all the way through yet).

Cheers,
Lawrence

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:47:02 -0700

At 4:33 PM +0100 7/14/09, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>Livingood, Jason wrote:
>>We're tentatively planning a bar BoF for Monday night, more details to follow as we work on a venue and so on.
>
>Who's we, and is there any reason why these plans can't be discussed/fleshed out on the list? (Please forgive me if it's buried in one of the threads I haven't got to reading all the way through yet).

That's what this thread is about. See the past few messages.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Lawrence Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:03:12 +0100

> That's what this thread is about. See the past few messages.

I read Jason's reply to Heather as if to say "we'll let you [and the 
list] know when we [some subset of undisclosed people] have it all 
planned and sorted" which sounded rather non-consultative to me. If I've 
got that all wrong, then please ignore me and carry on. Otherwise, just 
saying it would be good if the organising could be carried out on the 
list (perhaps by extending this thread), as I plan on attending the BoF 
and would like to follow the planning as it progresses.

Not a big issue though so please don't interpret this as a flame :) Just 
eager to follow progress.

Cheers,
Lawrence

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:35:17 -0400

This needn't be so complex, really.  We've been discussing on the list now
for awhile whether to have a bar BoF or not, and off-list some of the ADs
and others have suggested that it may be a good idea as well (we - being
Dave Oran and I - sought their advice and direction).  I am merely
suggesting that based on a number of emails I have received, people seem to
be asking for Monday.  I haven't worked out any logistics past that.

So, taking one step back, is there interest in a bar BoF or not?

And if so, would Monday evening work for folks?

Jason

On 7/14/09 12:03 PM, "Lawrence Stewart" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Who's we, and is there any reason why these plans can't be discussed/fleshed
>>> out on the list? (Please forgive me if it's buried in one of the threads I
>>> haven't got to reading all the way through yet).
>>

---

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:48:05 -0700

> And if so, would Monday evening work for folks?

My travel auth for IETF 75 has been approved, so I'm planning to be  
there.  Monday works, but you know I'm coming from California, so with  
luck I won't be falling asleep in the middle of things.

--
james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
member of technical staff, communications engineering

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:43:30 +0200

> So, taking one step back, is there interest in a bar BoF or not?

 From my side (as an AD), yes. As I said before, I believe there is  
important work here for the IETF to do, but I also believe we need  
some more discussion time before we have agreed on exactly what the  
scope and focus should be.

> And if so, would Monday evening work for folks?

Monday night is the traditional TSV directorate & chairs dinner. Then  
again, no night is perfect.

Can we simply use the Doodle that Iljitsch set up to figure out which  
day is best? (http://www.doodle.com/32b5xhqp6e94vvnt
)

Lars

---

From: John Jason Brzozowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 06:53:10 -0400

+1 on interest.  Could we do Tues, Wed, or Thur instead?

John
=========================================
John Jason Brzozowski
Comcast Corporation
e) mailto:[email-masked]
m) 609-377-6594
=========================================

> From: Jason Livingood <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:35:17 -0400
> To: Lawrence Stewart <[email-masked]>, Paul Hoffman
> <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [homegate] Meeting time in Stockholm?
> 
>>>> discussed/fleshed
> _______________________________________________
> homegate mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homegate

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:51:49 +0200

A reminder to register preferences here:

- Mark

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:04:15 +0200

> http://www.doodle.com/32b5xhqp6e94vvnt

We now have 15 votes for monday, 5 for tuesday, 14 for wednesday and  
13 for thursday.

Iljitsch

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:09:24 +0200

May we call it for Monday then? (only day I can attend, so I'm obviously 
biased).

- Mark

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:07:23 -0400

At 12:09 AM +0200 7/17/09, Mark Townsley wrote:
>May we call it for Monday then? (only day I can attend, so I'm obviously biased).

Yes, please, let's decide soon. Monday seems as good as any.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:07:59 +0200

> Yes, please, let's decide soon. Monday seems as good as any.

We need to pull the trigger at some point... A few more people have  
participated in the doodle but the results haven't really changed:

monday 17, tuesday 7, wednesday 15, thursday 14.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:20:29 -0700

Some of us need to plan our other evenings. Given that there is no WG leadership yet, and given that this is an informal meeting, and given that Jason already suggested Monday night, let's just go with it. He or someone else can pick a bar with food and let the list know.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: David R Oran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:03:35 -0400

Confirmed. Monday night it is.
On Jul 20, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Some of us need to plan our other evenings. Given that there is no  
> WG leadership yet, and given that this is an informal meeting, and  
> given that Jason already suggested Monday night, let's just go with  
> it. He or someone else can pick a bar with food and let the list know.
>
> --Paul Hoffman, Director
> --VPN Consortium

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:24:55 -0400

I don't know about others, but I've now filled the rest of the week,  
so I cN only make it Monday (although I assume I'll be able to sell my  
social ticket if this meeting is moved to Tues).

Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:50:20 +0200

> Confirmed. Monday night it is.

Apparently that didn't stop people from participating int the poll.  
Rest assured that monday was still in the lead as I closed it just  
now, though.

What time do we meet where?

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:04:36 -0700

apparently not. It appears closed.

On Jul 15, 2009, at 1:43 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:

> Can we simply use the Doodle that Iljitsch set up to figure out  
> which day is best? (http://www.doodle.com/32b5xhqp6e94vvnt
> )

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:53:12 -0700

>What time do we meet where?

So that five people aren't deciding this, let's leave it with Jason, who started the idea. I gave him the name of a pub that I heard was good and had reasonable bar food (not cheap, but most pubs aren't cheap), and I think he might be investigating others.

As for when, probably 2015 or 2030, giving people time after the last meeting to walk to the place.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:55:52 +0200

> last meeting to walk to the place.

Maybe meet in a predetermined corner of the registration area at 19:45  
for those so inclined?

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:28:05 -0400

Sounds good - so we can have a spot for people to meet locally in the venue,
or they can meet at the bar.  We are trying now to find something close.
But we're now expecting Monday evening, so pencil that into your calendar so
to speak.

Jason