Subject: [homenet] FW: [hackathon] RIOT@IETF 93 Hackathon

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 15:39:43 +0000

FYI,

There will be an IETF Hackathon in Prague, July 18-19. We are in the
process of determining the set of technologies included and are using
[email-masked] for all discussions related to the hackathon. I thought
this working group might be interested to work with RIOT and related
technologies at the hackathon. If so, please subscribe the list
(https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hackathon) and participate in the
discussions there.

Cheers,
Charles

On 4/30/15, 1:02 PM, "Matthias Waehlisch" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi Charles, all,
>
>  several people from the RIOT community (http://www.riot-os.org) will
>attend the upcoming IETF meeting and are pleased to work on IETF-related
>topics during the Hackathon. We plan to give an introduction to RIOT
>such that non-RIOTers can easily start with implementing their own ideas
>on this operating system for constrained devices.
>
>  So far we have the following champions assigned to topics:
>
>    (1) Lotte Steenbrink: update of AODVv2 (see draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2)
>   
>    (2) Hauke Petersen: CoAP for service discovery in the IoT (see
>draft-jimenez-p2psip-coap-reload)
>
>    (3) Martine Lenders: general IoT network stack and boarder gateway
>between the IoT and current Internet
>
>    (4) Kaspar Schleiser: ICN
>
>
>  Anybody who is interested in working on these topics is more than
>welcome to join! If you have your own topic and want to implement this
>on RIOT, let us know in advance and we will tailor introduction etc.
>
>
>
>Thanks
>  matthias
>
>-- 
>Matthias Waehlisch
>.  Freie Universitaet Berlin, Inst. fuer Informatik, AG CST
>.  Takustr. 9, D-14195 Berlin, Germany
>.. mailto:[email-masked] .. http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~waehl
>:. Also: http://inet.cpt.haw-hamburg.de .. http://www.link-lab.net
>
>_______________________________________________
>hackathon mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hackathon

---

From: Steven Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 09:20:36 +0200

As voiced earlier on this list it might be a good idea to have a homenet 
interop event with different routing protocol implementations etc. and I 
guess we could try to find ways to interop with IOT as well.

I hope there is more demand for this here.

Cheers,

Steven

On 01.05.2015 17:39, Charles Eckel (eckelcu) wrote:
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 17:12:41 -0400

On May 2, 2015, at 3:20 AM, Steven Barth <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> As voiced earlier on this list it might be a good idea to have a homenet interop event with different routing protocol implementations etc. and I guess we could try to find ways to interop with IOT as well.

I would definitely like to do some interop testing at IETF 93, but circumstances prevent me from being there on Saturday—that's Andrea's birthday. If anyone's in a similar situation, maybe we could do something informal...

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 21:27:42 -0400

> I hope there is more demand for this here.

If you intend to organize this, please make sure that you decide soonest.
The ETSI Plugfest is occuring, but it might overlap in time.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 16:39:42 +0000

Michael and Steven,

Just to clarify, the ties to IoT/RIOT were simply a suggestion on my part
of one potential project. Other projects relevant to HOMENET are welcome
and encouraged.

Cheers,
Charles

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 17:13:14 +0200

Ray and I were just discussing this today. We'd be thrilled to support
homenet-related work at the hackathon in any way we can as chairs.

Ideas?

- Mark

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 12:06:51 -0400

On May 6, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Ray and I were just discussing this today. We'd be thrilled to support homenet-related work at the hackathon in any way we can as chairs.
> 
> Ideas?

Really good to hear from you, Mark.  One thought that just popped into my head: offer HNCP service on the wired hotel network. People can plug their routers in and see if they can join.  I'm not sure this is safe, but if it were, it would be a cool way to see a large homenet in action.

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 16:50:18 +0000

Happy to hear the interest and ideas here. I would be happy to add homenet
to the set of technologies for the Hackathon. All that is needed is for
one or more people to volunteer to be champions. Here is what I mean by
champion:

Champions are individuals familiar with a given technology who have
volunteered to help get others get up and running with that technology.
Champions should:

* plan to arrive Friday, for any setup, and attend Saturday and Sunday
* prepare a brief overview presentation to introduce the technology and
suggest potential projects
* make themselves available to answer questions and help others
* hack on things themselves in their copious free time

Additional champions for new or existing technologies are welcome at any
time; subscribe and send to https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hackathon

Mark, Ray, Ted, all of you would be great champions if you are available.
If you want anything special arranged in terms of the network, it would be
good to know asap so we can start working with the IETF network team to
try to accommodate.

Cheers,
Charles

On 5/6/15, 9:06 AM, "Ted Lemon" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Really good to hear from you, Mark.  One thought that just popped into my
>head: offer HNCP service on the wired hotel network. People can plug
>their routers in and see if they can join.  I'm not sure this is safe,
>but if it were, it would be a cool way to see a large homenet in action.

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 19:16:07 +0200

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> head: offer HNCP service on the wired hotel network. People can plug their
> routers in and see if they can join.  I'm not sure this is safe, but if it
> were, it would be a cool way to see a large homenet in action.

Not sure if it fits within the context of the hackathon, but it could be an
interesting experiment. I'm certainly not opposed to the idea if we could
get IETF NOC support (I recall setting up a homenet in my suite in Orlando.
The suspicious DHCPv6 and OSPFv3 activity led to an administrative shutdown
of the interface serving my room).

- Mark

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 19:20:08 +0200

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Really good to hear from you, Mark.

Thanks, Ted.

I have had a few rough weeks, but am doing much better now.

- Mark

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 13:36:00 -0400

On May 6, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Not sure if it fits within the context of the hackathon, but it could be an interesting experiment. I'm certainly not opposed to the idea if we could get IETF NOC support (I recall setting up a homenet in my suite in Orlando. The suspicious DHCPv6 and OSPFv3 activity led to an administrative shutdown of the interface serving my room).

Agreed.  We'd need to come up with a description of the experiment and do some analysis to see if it can be done without disrupting the IETF network.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 13:39:25 -0400

> I have had a few rough weeks, but am doing much better now.

I'm glad to hear it. It is really crappy when your body decides to stop cashing the checks your brain has been writing. I'm glad you took it seriously and got the help you needed.  Dealing with diabetes is a real pain. My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about fifteen years ago and has been in a strict diet and strict exercise regimen since then. On the plus side, I think these two things have had health benefits far beyond just helping to keep his blood sugar levels down, but it hasn't been easy.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 13:43:25 -0400

On May 6, 2015, at 1:39 PM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm glad to hear it.

Agh, sorry for over-sharing!  I thought the email from Mark was just to me. :(

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 16:51:14 -0400

> Really good to hear from you, Mark.  One thought that just popped into
    > my head: offer HNCP service on the wired hotel network. People can plug

It would be neat to be able to get a prefix for my room.

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 19:40:38 +0100

> It would be neat to be able to get a prefix for my room.

We tend to not see the hotel network as a great venue for
experimentation because we tend to have limited control and because it
leverages preexisting hardware. that said if you're interested in IETF
networks related experiences, the earlier you formulate the ask  the
more likely an experiment can be formulated.