Subject: [HT-rt] Interviewing the interviewers

From: Shivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 14:39:35 -0700

Hi all, I spoke to Beatrice about her and Niels's methodology for doing the
QUIC human rights review. Notes below:

## Review phase
- Identified which drafts are most interesting (the core drafts: these were
2-3 for QUIC)
- Looked at Working Group overview for context-setting. Examined which
topics on the mailing list were heated
- Read the core drafts together over multiple calls. Noted what was
interesting from a human rights perspective
- Divided up the interesting points into RFC8280 categories

## Interviews
- The feedback from IETF Working Groups has been to engage in *dialogue*
from an *early stage* (although later drafts are also interesting/important
to review)
- Share two docs with interviewees prior to interview - info sheet (about
interviews, interviewer affiliation) and consent form (they consent to
(not) be quoted, quoted by name, with affiliation etc)
- Interview format works well because we're asking the core people instead
of talking at them about how they don't care about human rights
- Who to interview? Have to think about this carefully - want to take into
account their interests and make sure we have a spread of people who care
about different things (with some overlap)
- People appreciated the interviews - it's crucial in helping build trust
with the IETF Working Group folks who through conversation understand that
we're engaging technically and that we've read the drafts

## Steps Forward
- Transcribe and organize the interviews - figure out what fits into what
human rights category
- Share it with the folks who were interviewed - standard academic procedure
- Publish the review as an Internet-Draft. We can make use of the existing
infrastructure to track our work, without it being lost somewhere in a
mailing list. Also allows easy referencing from future documents.