Subject: [hrpc] draft-iab-filtering-considerations to be published as RFC

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:27:01 +0100

Its version draft-iab-filtering-considerations-09 is now in the RFC
editor queue <http://www.rfc-editor.org/current_queue.php>

This may replace the (expired? defunct?) draft-hall-censorship-tech.

My personal opinion on the IAB draft (based on an earlier version, I
did not read the very last ones): good technical analysis (of course)
but may be too neutral (describing techniques without concerns about
their legitimacy).

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 08:49:34 -0500

Heya Stephane, draft-hall is neither expired nor defunct. I'm still
planning on shooting for an AD-sponsored draft before or right after
Buenos Aires (which I can't attend due to a previous conflict so will
need to participate remotely).

I've been refactoring draft-hall to use the Markdown ID template as a
few academic contributors would rather edit in that fashion. I've also
been working in some changes from commentors such as yourself and
Martin.

I see these drafts as distinct, and I should have a new version for
comment by December. We'll also have a phone call or two to get some
of the folks interested in further edits together.

best, Joe

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 6:27 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I ST NW STE 1100
Washington DC 20006-4011
(p) 202-407-8825
(f) 202-637-0968
[email-masked]
PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 00:24:09 +0100

Hmmmmm I missed this. It seems it is already consensus and it has been
sent to the RFC-editor. There is indeed some objectionable language
and assumptions in there. But if there is no hope for change, I'll
have to let it go.

Cheers,

Niels

Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9

On 11/17/2015 12:27 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Its version draft-iab-filtering-considerations-09 is now in the
> RFC editor queue <http://www.rfc-editor.org/current_queue.php>
> 
> My personal opinion on the IAB draft (based on an earlier version,
> I did not read the very last ones): good technical analysis (of
> course) but may be too neutral (describing techniques without
> concerns about their legitimacy).
> 
> _______________________________________________ hrpc mailing list 
> [email-masked] https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:52:06 -0500

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:24:09AM +0100, Niels ten Oever wrote:

> Hmmmmm I missed this. It seems it is already consensus

Note that the consensus here is IAB consensus, and it's a
"considerations" document, not recommendations.  If the IETF, for
instance, wanted to make a recommendation about what the right
_practice_ is (which is different from the architecture), it is free
to produce an IETF consensus BCP.

Best regards,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]