Subject: [hrpc] Proposed agenda hrpc Buenos Aires

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:11:44 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to invite you all to propose agenda items for the agenda of
our meeting in Buenos Aires on Monday.

Please find underneath a proposed, rough, initial agenda:

Human Rights Protocols Considerations (hrpc) research group sessions at
#IETF95 17:40 - 19:40 UTC-3, April 4 2016 -

- Beginning (5 min)
	Jabber scribe, note takers
	Agenda Bashing
	Notewell
	Introduction
- Status of research group (5 min)
- Context of research (10 mins)
- Discussion introduction website https://hrpc.io (5 mins)
- Presentation + Q&A - Ramsey Nasser on ‘kalbe’ [قلب] a programming
language entirely written in Arabic and the issues he came across while
developing this (15 mins)
- Presentation + Q&A - Geoffrey Bowker on Values in Design and
difficulties surrounding engineering for social values  (15 mins)
- Presentation + Q&A - Nick Doty on privacy adoption in Internet and web
standard setting, and how this could be applied in developing human
rights guidelines (15 mins)
- Discussion of research draft, including first version of
considerations (15 minutes)
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tenoever-hrpc-research
- Discussion of report draft
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-doria-hrpc-report
- Open discussion other drafts, papers, ideas (20 min)
- Next steps (5 min)
- AOB

Looking forward to your suggestions and comments, also as pull requests:
https://github.com/nllz/IRTF-HRPC/blob/master/Agenda%20hrpc%20IETF95.txt

Best,

Niels

PS Finally I was thinking of organizing a 'civil society (friendly)
dinner' in a vegetarian restaurant after our session in the following
venue at 20:00:

Green Life
Av. Corrientes 1915,
C1045AAB CABA
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Feel free to invite other civil society (friendly) people as well, but
please register in this Dudle (and encourage others to do so as well):
https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/ietfcsmeetup/  so I can make reservations.

No host - for menu and prices see:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g312741-d7594450-Reviews-Green_Life-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9

---

From: Corinne Cath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 13:37:04 +0100

​Hello all,

I just came across this article titled 'more encryption means less privacy'
which I think might be of interest to some of you:

here is an excerpt:

"After an animated plenary session in Vancouver, the IETF (Internet
Engineering Task Force) published "Best Current Practice 188" (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp188), which declared that pervasive
monitoring is a technical attack that should be mitigated in the design of
IETF protocols where possible. Now, with this manifesto in hand, SSL/TLS
and encryption are being hammered into and bolted onto protocols and
standards throughout the IETF working groups. Victory—privacy—seemed
certain. Or maybe not."

https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?ref=rss&id=2904894

​Best,

Corinne

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:33:03 +0200

Hi all,

As per the offer from Joe Hall to discuss
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hall-censorship-tech in hrpc, please
find the new agenda for the hrpc session below.

Best,

Niels

Human Rights Protocols Considerations (hrpc) research group sessions at
#IETF95 17:40 - 19:40 UTC-3, April 4 2016

- Beginning (5 min)
	Jabber scribe, note takers
	Agenda Bashing
	Notewell
	Introduction
- Status of research group (5 min)
- Context of research (5 mins)
- Discussion introduction website https://hrpc.io (5 mins)
- Presentation + Q&A - Ramsey Nasser on ‘kalbe’ [قلب] a programming
language entirely written in Arabic and the issues he came across while
developing this (15 mins)
- Presentation + Q&A - Geoffrey Bowker on Values in Design and
difficulties surrounding engineering for social values (15 mins)
- Presentation + Q&A - Nick Doty on privacy adoption in Internet and web
standard setting, and how this could be applied in developing human
rights guidelines (15 mins)
- Discussion of research draft, including first version of
considerations (15 mins)
	https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tenoever-hrpc-research
- Discussion of report draft (15 mins)
	https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-doria-hrpc-report
- Discussion of censorship draft (10 mins)
	https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hall-censorship-tech
- Open discussion other drafts, papers, ideas (15 min)
- Next steps (5 min)
- AOB

Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 22:01:39 -0700

very much looking forward to it... I hope everyone is reading drafts and
ready to rock!  ::)

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

CDT's annual dinner, Tech Prom, is April 6, 2016!
https://cdt.org/annual-dinner