Subject: [hrpc] UN Special Rapporteur asks for input on standards bodies for new report

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 12:12:22 +0200

Dear all,

The UN Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression David Kaye, who also
spoke at the hrpc session at IETF96 in Berlin [0], already produced two
report, one on 'encryption and anonymity' [1] and one on 'The role of
the private sector in the digital age [2].

Now he intend to write a report on: 'freedom of expression and the
telecommunications and Internet access sector'. [3]
For this he is asking for input from business enterprises [4] as well as
NGOs and other stakeholders [5].

I think there is one question in which you all might be especially
interested, and that is the last question mentioned under [5]:

[QUOTE]
 Please share information concerning the role of relevant standards and
Internet governance bodies in protecting and promoting freedom of
expression, and how that role may be improved.
[/QUOTE]

The deadline for the submissions is November. Details can be found under
the aforementioned links.

You can also find examples of submissions under link [1] and [2] to see
what submissions to the previous reports look like. It is not
necessarily a lot of work and I think the UN Special Rapporteur in
specific and the UN and the UN Human Rights Council at large could
greatly benefit from input from the technical community.

Best,

Niels

[0]
http://recs.conf.meetecho.com/Playout/watch.jsp?recording=IETF96_HRPC&chapter=chapter_1
from 30:40 onwards
[1]
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/CallForSubmission.aspx
[2]
www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/Privatesectorinthedigitalage.aspx
[3]
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/Telecommunications.aspx
[4]
http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Issues/Expression/Telecommunications/QuestionnaireBusinessEnterprises.docx
[5]
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/CallTelecommunications.aspx

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9