Subject: [hrpc] Rogaway and Boyle [previous research]

From: Amelia Andersdotter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 13:17:16 +0200

Dear all,

At the HRPC session Thursday last I heard someone (Brian?) mention
Philip Rogaways essay on ethics and cryptography.

It is here: http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/papers/moral-fn.pdf and
is a fantastic read (also laudably concise).

While I'm at it, I thought I'd bring up an old favourite of mine,
Foucault in Cyberspace by James Boyle:
https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/faculty_scholarship/619/ [French
philosophy á la 1970s, yeah!]

It is also short, and from 1997, but is still very relevant for
mechanisms operating in and around web/connectivity service provision
and, almost assuredly, standardisation of such services.

best regards,

-- 
Amelia Andersdotter
Technical Consultant, Digital Programme

ARTICLE19
www.article19.org

PGP: 3D5D B6CA B852 B988 055A 6A6F FEF1 C294 B4E8 0B55

---

From: Shivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 02:41:23 +0000

Thanks Amelia for the links.

I thought it was interesting how much emphasis Rogaway places on the lack
of enthusiasm for the problem of secure messaging within the academic
crypto community, in context of work being done within the IETF (an
engineering org) on encrypted group messaging.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018, 7:17 AM Amelia Andersdotter <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
>

---

From: Amelia Andersdotter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:19:10 +0200

On 2018-03-26 04:41, Shivan wrote:
> I thought it was interesting how much emphasis Rogaway places on the
> lack of enthusiasm for the problem of secure messaging within the
> academic crypto community, in context of work being done within the
> IETF (an engineering org) on encrypted group messaging.
>

Rogaways paper is about three years old by now, so things are probably
changing. I perceived Rogaway to be a part of that change.

Many unresolved privacy issues in technology today were already
identified by the 1980s (cf. David Chaum). One could perhaps argue the
same is not true for pervasive monitoring, where technical solutions to
conceived problems has instead formed a relatively short cycle (although
I'm not sure it would stand up to scrutiny: ML, for instance, strikes me
as also having been at least basically developed by the 1980s, but
constrained by hardware capacity).

best regards,

Amelia

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018, 7:17 AM Amelia Andersdotter
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     It is here: http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/papers/moral-fn.pdf
>     <http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/%7Erogaway/papers/moral-fn.pdf> and
>     www.article19.org <http://www.article19.org>
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

ARTICLE19
www.article19.org