Subject: [hrpc] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements-00.txt

From: Shivan Kaul Sahib <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 12:42:27 +0000

Hi all,

Submitted a new draft for 451 new protocol elements. I included in this
draft the analysis of HTTP 451 from a human rights perspective as laid out
in the manyfolks-hrcrfc7725 draft while also addressing previous comments
made by Stephane and others.

Suggestions/comments very welcome, as always.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:38 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements-00.txt
To: Shivan Kaul Sahib <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Shivan Kaul Sahib and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements
Revision:       00
Title:          New protocol elements for HTTP Status Code 451
Document date:  2018-03-19
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          8
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sahib-451-new-
protocol-elements-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sahib-451-new-
protocol-elements/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-
elements-00
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-sahib-451-new-
protocol-elements

Abstract:
   This draft recommends protocol updates to Hypertext Transfer Protocol
   (HTTP) status code 451 (defined by RFC7725) based on an examination
   of how the new status code is being used by parties involved in
   denial of Internet resources because of legal demands.  Also included
   is an analysis of HTTP 451 from a human rights perspective using
   guidelines from RFC8280.

   Discussion of this draft is at https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/
   hrpc and https://lists.ghserv.net/mailman/listinfo/statuscode451.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Corinne Cath <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:42:49 +0200

Hi Shivan,

Great work! Some minor nits:

7.6.  Censorship Resistance

   While HTTP 451 status code cannot prevent censorship, it can help
   make censorship more transparent and make assessment of Internet
   censorship cases easier by providing information about the block in a
   parseable manner.

Perhaps add some nuance to this part, because it can only do this for a
very particular type of censorship.

7.19.  Outcome Transparency

   The assumption behind the development of the status code 451 is that
   transparency has a chilling effect on censorship and that
   transparency will enable the process of justice by allowing acts of
   censorship to be challenged.  In some countries, blocks orders are
   unevenly implemented by ISPs either because it does not serve their
   bottom-lines or they are resisting censorship - governments in those
   countries could mandate the implementation of status code 451 which
   will make it easier for them to monitor the implementation of their
   block orders.  Surveillance systems in some countries could be
   updated to watch out for the 451 error code on unencrypted traffic
   making it easier to identify those trying to access prohibited
   content.  Before the implementation of this standard there would be
   no uniformity in which websites would implement a block order
   increasing the number of false positives for any automated monitoring
   systems.

Perhaps switch out the words "justice" for due process?

Would love to hear what others on the list think about this draft!

best,

Corinne

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 1:42 PM, Shivan Kaul Sahib <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-
> elements-00.txt
> URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-
> drafts/draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements-00.txt
> Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/
> doc/draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements/
> Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/d
> raft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements-00
> Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/
> doc/html/draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-elements
>
>
> Abstract:
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
>
>

-- 
Corinne Cath
Ph.D. Candidate, Oxford Internet Institute & Alan Turing Institute

Web: www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/corinne-cath
Email: [email-masked] & [email-masked]
Twitter: @C_Cath

---

From: Shivan Kaul Sahib <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:21:41 -0400

Thanks Corinne! Definitely agree with the language nit for section 7.19
(Outcome Transparency). I can add some more details for section 7.6

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:42 AM, Corinne Cath <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-sahib-451-new-protocol-e
>> lements-00.txt