Subject: [hrpc] [[email-masked]] RFC 8367 on Wrongful Termination of Internet Protocol (IP) Packets

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 11:35:22 -0400

Hey HRPC folks--

RFC 8367 (see forwarded message below) is an April 1 RFC that pokes fun
at the mixture of rights-specific language and Internet Protocols.  In
particular, it focuses on language common to equal-opportunity and
anti-discrimination ordinances.

I find parts of the RFC funny, but i'm also a bit unsettled by the
context and tone -- there's an underlying implication of "isn't it
ridiculous to imagine that someone might think there are human rights
concerns associated with internet protocols?".  When i agree with some
fairly-straightforwad interpretation of an April 1st RFC (e.g. i
actually do think that the middleboxes should just pass the traffic and
not try to do deep packet inspection), or when one section seems
actually-reasonable while the other is farcical on its face (compare the
Recommendations for §3.3 and §3.2), i'm left wondering whether the joke
is on me. :/

if anyone is interested in scheming for a comparably facetious future
April 1st RFC staking out the opposite position (how many layers of
irony can the RFC editors endure?) please contact me off-list. :)

      --dkg

Subject: RFC 8367 on Wrongful Termination of Internet Protocol (IP) Packets
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2018 08:28:46 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8367

        Title:      Wrongful Termination of Internet Protocol (IP) Packets 
        Author:     T. Mizrahi, J. Yallouz
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       1 April 2018 
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 11450
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-tj-wrongful-termination-00.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8367

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8367

Routers and middleboxes terminate packets for various reasons.  In
some cases, these packets are wrongfully terminated.  This memo
describes some of the most common scenarios of wrongful termination
of Internet Protocol (IP) packets and presents recommendations for
mitigating them.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC