Subject: [hrpc] Session at IETF104

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 16:36:21 +0100

Dear co-chairs,

Are you planning to have a guest-talk at the hrpc session at IETF104?

If so, I think it would be very interested to hear of Paul Dourish or Fenwick McKelvey!

Happy to help make connections if that's useful.

Best,

Niels

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 11:53:36 -0500

Hi

Thanks for pinging on the agenda.

I have been thinking about the agenda.  Waiting to see what drafts are
submitted.

Folks, what drafts, other than hrpc-association, should we expect to
come in? Anyone have a relevant paper they wish to discuss? I know of a
few other maybes, but not sure what will actually be submitted.

On hrpc-association, since there has been a discussion of what is next
for it, wondering if we have some members who would like to review it
and speak to it and its readiness at the meeting.

Among other things on the agenda, I expect we will have a discussion on
some recent events, including the situation with IETF id reviews.

Are there other topics people think need to be on the agenda?

Niels, what topic are you suggesting they speak about? Any papers we can
reference on their work?

thanks

avri

On 20-Feb-19 10:36, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 18:15:05 +0100

Hi Avri,

> few other maybes, but not sure what will actually be submitted.

I am waiting for a reviewer to finish his review of draft-politics. If that gets through in time, I hope to make a new version which I would like to discuss.

> and speak to it and its readiness at the meeting.

Gisela and I are under the impression that we have addressed the issues brought up by you and Mallory (and the full review by Gurshabad). 

Would be great to hear what you think, so that if needed we can address those before the meeting?

> some recent events, including the situation with IETF id reviews.

Could you elaborate on that?

> Niels, what topic are you suggesting they speak about? Any papers we can

Fenwick McKelvey's recent excellent book on Internet Daemons is I think highly relevant, especially chapter 3 and 4. https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/internet-daemons

Paul Dourish's recent paper on IPv6 is relevant:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24701475.2018.1455311
as well as his book 'the Stuff of Bits' https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/stuff-bits.

Best,

Niels

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
DATACTIVE Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488  
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 16:52:00 +0100

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Could you give us one-two sentences about why you'd like them to speak?

We might wait until Montreal to have Fenwick present in person?

We have been talking about someone speaking from the Association for
Progressive Communications Women's Rights Programme about the Feminist
Principles of the Internet.

-Mallory

-- 
Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9  B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780

---

From: farzaneh badii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 13:29:18 -0500

Bradley Fidler (Asst Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology,
www.brfidler.com) <https://www.brfidler.com/>and I are submitting an
Internet-Draft which we would like to present during the HRPC session in
Prague. We appreciate it if this ID could be considered to be added to the
agenda. We will both be present for the session. We want to contribute to
achieving the outputs of this group in general and more specifically come
up with methods for: Protocol analysis. Data analysis and visualization of
(existing) protocols in the wild to research their concrete impact on human
rights.

Here is a tentative abstract which we are developing the ID based on. Our
draft will contribute to methods for protocol analysis.
Abstract

We propose a tentative research agenda for considering political values in
Internet protocol design. The agenda diverges from other Internet-Drafts on
the issue of Political Values and human rights consideration in that it
does not propose to consider human rights values during the process of
developing protocols. This document argues that while it is not possible to
‘encode’ human rights in technical systems such that those values are
maintained in any social context, there are still productive ways forward
for organizations interested in considering the consequences of Internet
protocols on human rights.

Regards,

Farzaneh