Subject: [hrpc] I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-association-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 02:26:09 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Human Rights Protocol Considerations RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Freedom of Association on the Internet
        Authors         : Niels ten Oever
                          Gisela Perez de Acha
	Filename        : draft-irtf-hrpc-association-01.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2019-02-14

Abstract:
   This document establishes the causal link between the Internet
   architecture and the ability of people to excercise their right to
   freedom of assembly and association online.  The Internet
   increasingly mediates our lives, our relationships and our ability to
   exercise our human rights.  As a forum, it provides a global public
   space despite being built on predominantly private infrastructure.
   Since Internet protocols play a central role in the management,
   development and use of the Internet, the relation between protocols
   and the aforementioned rights should be analyzed and any adverse
   impacts should be mitigated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-hrpc-association/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-association-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-association-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-hrpc-association-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Gurshabad Grover <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 23:20:18 +0530

> 	Filename        : draft-irtf-hrpc-association-01.txt
Thanks to the authors for the update to the draft, I think it addresses
most concerns highlighted in the list.

I have two minor suggestions:

* In the concluding section, this sentence can be further sketched out:
"These properties and characteristics on the one hand enable people to
assemble and associate, but on the other hand also adds limiting, or
even potentially endangering, characteristics." Specifically, the
properties that have been identified from the cases as enabling factors
for the freedom of assembly (eg. confidentiality in communication among
multiple parties, ability to join/leave groups freely) can be explicitly
mentioned here.

* For Section 8 ('Discussion: Protocols vs Platforms'): While the topic
is intuitively relevant, I think the draft would benefit from 2-3
statements making the link between federation/interoperability and the
right to assembly explicit. And just a quibble about the title:
protocols _versus_ platforms may not be an accurate framing of the
question considering that closed platforms can be built using open
standards that federate (as the draft points out, they may not enable
make that capability clear) and then there can be protocols that do not
care about federation. Therefore, federation may just be a desirable
property in protocols and need not be pitted against "platforms".(*)

Overall, I think the draft is a good step towards the stated charter
goal, and I hope we can discuss, in Prague and on this list, the way
forward towards its publication.

Thank you.
Gurshabad

(*) Of course, everyone may not consider a desirable property: one may
forgo federation in favour of faster pace of development that a closed
system permits. [0][1] This may even bring privacy advantages (Eg.
Signal has made technical advances in reducing communication metadata
available to them, [2] changes which might have not been possible if it
was committed to federation), but I suspect that might be rare.

[0] https://lwn.net/Articles/687294/
[1] https://signal.org/blog/the-ecosystem-is-moving/
[2] https://signal.org/blog/sealed-sender/

PS.

Typos and misc suggestions for readability
------------------------------------------
§Abs.	"excercise"/"exercise"
§1	"&#8202;"/" "
§4	"aformentioned"/"aforementioned"
§4	"guideless"/"guidelines"
§5	"merely gradual"/"merely a gradual"
§5	"one and the other"/"both"
§5	" n "/" "
§6	"human right"/"human rights"
§6	"etiher"/"either"
§6.1.1	"an are"/"and are"
§6.1.1	"accountabilty"/"accountability"
§6.1.2	"excercise"/"exercise"
§6.1.3	"clases"/"classes"
§6.2.1	"achitectures"/"architectures"
§6.2.1	"esentially"/"essentially"
§6.2.1	"5694 P2P"/"5694"
§6.2.1	"and have"/"and has"
§6.2.1	"unpredicable"/"unpredictable"
§6.2.1	"assesesing"/"assessing"
§6.2.2	"dividied"/"divided"
§6.3	"Acording"/"According"
§6.3.1	"mitigated"/"mitigate"
§6.3.1	"TLS [RFC5246]"/"DNS over HTTPS [RFC8484]"
§6.3.2	"Automous"/"Autonomous"
§6.3.2	"Aditionally"/"Additionally"
§7	"buid"/"build"
§7	"infrastructe"/"infrastructure
§7	"faciliates"/"facilitates
§7	"propotionate"/"proportionate
§7	"excercising"/"exercising"
§8	"propietary"/"proprietary"
§9	"inhibts"/"inhibits"
§9	"excercise"/"exercise"

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 22:38:28 +0100

> forward towards its publication.

Thanks a lot Gurshabad,

I agree with all your points. I have integrated your suggestions and have sought to address your comments in the -02 version.

Best,

Niels

> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
> 

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
DATACTIVE Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488  
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3