Subject: [hrpc] DoH and its deployment

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 11:11:28 +0100

Two Internet-Drafts have been recently published about DoH
(DNS-over-HTTPS) deployment, draft-reid-doh-operator and
draft-livingood-doh-implementation-risks-issues. They criticize DoH as
allowing a power shift from ISPs and corporate networks to users,
browser makers and US cloud services such as Google's and
Cloudflare's.

This has obvious HR consequences (privacy, control of browsing). Note
that draft-reid-doh-operator even has a "Human rights considerations"
section.

I won't give my opinion here right now but you can follow the discussion here:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/doh/_J-lTbQB5GUdAuCDucUaTkLwmM8

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/doh/p0q7lWHRuXp-Tzv9Lyiza_OpdTY

---

From: Vittorio Bertola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 15:57:57 +0100 (CET)

> Il 10 marzo 2019 alle 11.11 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> ha scritto:
> 
> 
> (DNS-over-HTTPS) deployment,

Look, now there's a third one:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bertola-bcp-doh-clients/

(which is meant to have a Human Rights Considerations section, but I didn't have time to write a proper one before the deadline)

Ciao,
-- 

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
[email-masked]
Office @ Via Treviso 12, 10144 Torino, Italy

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:20:19 +0100

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 03:57:57PM +0100,
 Vittorio Bertola <[email-masked]> wrote 

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bertola-bcp-doh-clients/

The agenda for the DoH working group meeting at IETF 104 (Prague) has
apparently not yet been published but there will be probably one or
two slots about this issue. HRPC people may be interested (as always,
at the IETF, read the drafts first).