Subject: [http-auth] Fwd: Informal Last Call for draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04, was: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.txt

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:44:14 +0100

(FYI)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Informal Last Call for draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04, was: 
Fwd: I-D Action: draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.txt
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:38:02 +0100
From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
To: HTTP Working Group <[email-masked]>

Hi there,

I just submitted a new revision of d draft-reschke-basicauth-enc - see
below (HTML version at
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.html>;
this version also includes new hooks for providing feedback; please try!).

At this point, I'd like to solicit additional feedback before I proceed;
in particular: should this potentially be an Applications Area WG
deliverable?

With respect to intended status: in theory, this is a candidate for
Experimental. However, Basic Authentication (as defined in RFC 2617)
doesn't have a registry for extension parameters, so the cleanest
approach appears to say "Updates 2617", which IMHO requires a standards
track document.

Best regards, Julian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.txt
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:28:40 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : An Encoding Parameter for HTTP Basic Authentication
	Author(s)       : Julian F. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-01-29

    The "Basic" authentication scheme defined in RFC 2617 does not
    properly define how to treat non-ASCII characters.  This has lead to
    a situation where user agent implementations disagree, and servers
    make different assumptions based on the locales they are running in.
    There is little interoperability for characters in the ISO-8859-1
    character set, and even less interoperability for any characters
    beyond that.

    This document defines a backwards-compatible extension to "Basic",
    specifying the server's character encoding expectation, using a new
    authentication scheme parameter.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.txt

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:39:44 +0100

(FYI)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Informal Last Call for draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04, was: 
Fwd: I-D Action: draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.txt
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:38:02 +0100
From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
To: HTTP Working Group <[email-masked]>

Hi there,

Best regards, Julian