Subject: [http-auth] Barry Leiba's Yes on draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba-10: (with COMMENT)

From: "Barry Leiba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 14:49:59 -0800

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba-10: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have looked at the change to Section 8.2, and I think it (and the
reference) is a perfect choice, and makes the document stronger.  Thank
you very much for going in this direction!

------------
Remaining minor comments, left for posterity
------------

-- Section 3 --

      The "realm" attribute MUST NOT appear more than once.

Does that mean that "challenge" and max-age can appear more than once? 
If not, why call it out for "realm" and not for the others?

-- Section 6.2 --

It seems odd to put the NOT RECOMMENDED mechanism in the middle; I
suggest switching sections 6.2.2 and 6.2.3.

-- Section 8.3 --
The chances that a typical user (consider my mother) will know or care
about this, much less will "request" anything is vanishingly small.  Can
you say anything here about what can be done that would have any
practical utility?

-- Section 9.3 --

   Please create a new HOBA signature algorithms registry as follows,
   with the specification required rule for updates.  New HOBA signature
   algorithms SHOULD be in use with other IETF standards track protocols
   before being added to this registry.

I don't think the SHOULD is really right -- who is the target?  This
needs to be cast as instructions to the designated expert, perhaps as,
"The designated expert will review other uses of requested new HOBA
signature algorithms, with particular consideration to their use in other
IETF standards track protocols."  Perhaps there's also another word or
two to say about what the DE should consider?

-- Sections 9.4 and 9.5 --
Might there be any advice for the designated expert, anything at all?