Subject: [http-auth] Pete Resnick's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba-09: (with COMMENT)

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:48:27 -0800

Pete Resnick has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay HOBA! Very good that we are finally doing this thing. Totally nitty
things here. Barry covered anything substantive that I found:

- Use of the word "we" always makes me gag in IETF documents. Blech. For
example, in 1.2 (2 times):

OLD
   We use this term when describing something that is
NEW
   This term is used when describing something that is

Passive voice is under-rated for some things. There are 9 other uses of
"we" throughout the doc. We would be happy if we changed them.

- The last paragraph of section 2 is (a) ungrammatical and (b) seems more
like it belongs in section 1.

- Grammatical 2119 fussiness:

OLD
   UAs MAY optimise their use of challenges by pre-fetching a challenge
NEW
   To optimise their use of challenges, UAs MAY pre-fetch a challenge

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 22:42:41 +0000

Hiya,

> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpauth-hoba/

We would prefer not.

>    To optimise their use of challenges, UAs MAY pre-fetch a challenge

Sure, fixed in working draft.

S.

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:56:19 -0600

>> "we" throughout the doc. We would be happy if we changed them.

I will do what I can to avoid weeping into my beer.

The world will not stop turning either way.

> Sure, fixed in working draft.

Thanks.

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478