Subject: [http-state] git repository for spec

From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:02:56 -0700

Hi everyone,

To get the ball rolling on creating a specification, I've created a
git repository to help us collaborate.  To get a copy of the
repository, run the following command:

git clone git://github.com/abarth/http-state.git

You can also browse the repository online at
<http://github.com/abarth/http-state/tree/master>.  Currently, there's
not much there except for a skeleton Internet-Draft in
drafts/cookie.xml.  My plan is to steal liberally from RFC 2109 and
RFC 2965 to create a straw-man draft that we can evolve into something
correct.  If you have changes you would like to make in the draft,
please send patch files to this email list.  We can discuss them and
then land them in the repository as appropriate.

If you'd like to learn more about git, please visit
<http://git-scm.com/documentation>.

Adam

---

From: Daniel Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:15:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Adam Barth wrote:

> My plan is to steal liberally from RFC 2109 and RFC 2965 to create a 
> straw-man draft that we can evolve into something correct.  If you have 
> changes you would like to make in the draft, please send patch files to this 
> email list.  We can discuss them and then land them in the repository as 
> appropriate.

Great!

I think it makes sense for a single person to go ahead and start do the first 
cleanups to create something bare, and then we can discuss and edit the 
different sections from that.

-- 

  / daniel.haxx.se

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:35:40 +0200

Adam Barth wrote:
> ...

Please make sure that any contribution that happen through GIT are 
according to the IETF IPR policy (see 
<http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html>).

BR, Julian

PS: in case you didn't realize, you could also use an svn/trac 
installation on tools.ietf.org.

---

From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:58:35 -0700

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Julian Reschke<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Please make sure that any contribution that happen through GIT are according
> to the IETF IPR policy (see <http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html>).

I've added a note to the README to this effect.  Is there a recommend
way to enforce this requirement?

> PS: in case you didn't realize, you could also use an svn/trac installation
> on tools.ietf.org.

Thanks for suggesting these.  Those tools (particularly the Trac
instance) might prove useful in the future.

Adam

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:04:57 +0200

> way to enforce this requirement?

For HTTPbis we do that by restricting write access to a small set of 
editors, and by making sure that all spec text suggested by other 
contributors goes through the IETF mailing list (which operates under 
the IETF IPR policy).

BR, Julian

---

From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:08:00 -0700

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Julian Reschke<[email-masked]> wrote:
> contributors goes through the IETF mailing list (which operates under the
> IETF IPR policy).

So it sounds like I should accept patches to the repository only
through this mailing list (or other IETF mailing lists like HTTPbis).

Thanks,
Adam

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:12:43 +0200

> through this mailing list (or other IETF mailing lists like HTTPbis).

I think that would be safe.

BR, Julian