Subject: [http-state] draft-ietf-httpstate-cookie-09 references

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:35:25 +0200

Hi,

we currently have:

    [Netscape]
               "Persistent Client State -- HTTP Cookies".

I don't believe this is a sufficient reference, even if it's only an 
informative one.

I recommend adding a URI from where a copy of the spec can be retrieved, 
such as 
<http://web.archive.org/web/20070805052634/http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html> 
(*).

Best regards, Julian

(*) Found at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie>

---

From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:14:17 -0700

> I don't believe this is a sufficient reference, even if it's only an

Which is why I didn't want to add the reference, but various folks in
the working group wanted it listed in the references.

> <http://web.archive.org/web/20070805052634/http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html>

Yuck.  There isn't really an authoritative source for this document
anymore.  If folks want to find it in the future, they'll be better
off using their favorite search engine and judging the quality of the
source themselves.  As this is not a normative reference, I think
that's fine.

Adam

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:23:26 +0200

On 14.07.2010 19:14, Adam Barth wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Julian Reschke<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> we currently have:
>>
>>    [Netscape]

In the absence of an authoritative source, it's a good service to the 
reader to provide a URI that actually works. In particular, as, in this 
case, we can be confident that the URI is going to work for a long time.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 04:04:38 +0200

>case, we can be confident that the URI is going to work for a long time.

(Publisher and a publication date would also be an improvement.)
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:39:16 -0600

> (Publisher and a publication date would also be an improvement.)

Agreed.

I'd suggest something like this:

[Cookies] Netscape Communications, "Persistent Client State -- HTTP
Cookies (Preliminary Specification)", 1999, retrieved from
<http://web.archive.org/web/20070805052634/http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html>.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/