Subject: Re: [http-state] more thoughts on getting to IETF Last Call

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:19:27 -0700

> How do you do that in the XML format?

as Julian points out, <annotation> does the trick...

       <reference anchor="RFC3490">
         <front>
           <title>Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)</title>
             <author initials="P." surname="Faltstrom" fullname="P. Faltstrom">
               <organization />
             </author>
             <author initials="P." surname="Hoffman" fullname="P. Hoffman">
               <organization />
             </author>
             <author initials="A." surname="Costello" fullname="A. Costello">
               <organization />
             </author>
             <date year="2003" month="March" />
             <abstract>
               <t>Until now, there has been no standard method for domain names
               to use characters outside the ASCII repertoire.  This document
               defines internationalized domain names (IDNs) and a mechanism
               called Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) for
               handling them in a standard fashion.  IDNs use characters drawn
               from a large repertoire (Unicode), but IDNA allows the non-ASCII
               characters to be represented using only the ASCII characters
               already allowed in so-called host names today.  This
               backward-compatible representation is required in existing
               protocols like DNS, so that IDNs can be introduced with no
               changes to the existing infrastructure.  IDNA is only meant for
               processing domain names, not free text. [STANDARDS TRACK]</t>
             </abstract>
           </front>
           <seriesInfo name="RFC" value="3490" />
         <format type="TXT" octets="51943" 
target="http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3490.txt" />
	<annotation>
           See Section 6.3 for an explanation why the normative reference
           to an obsoleted specification is needed.
         </annotation>
       </reference>

Yields..

    [RFC3490]  Faltstrom, P., Hoffman, P., and A. Costello,
               "Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA)",
               RFC 3490, March 2003.

               See Section 6.3 for an explanation why the normative
               reference to an obsoleted specification is needed.

=JeffH

---

From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:00:17 -0700

> as Julian points out, <annotation> does the trick...

Done.

Adam

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:03:52 -0600

>> as Julian points out, <annotation> does the trick...

Great, let's rock. :)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/