Subject: Re: [http-state] Is this an omission in the parser rules of draft-ietf-httpstate-cookie-21?

From: "Remy Lebeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 20:23:03 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [http-state] Is this an omission in the parser rules of
draft-ietf-httpstate-cookie-21?
From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, February 03, 2011 7:12 pm
To: Remy Lebeau <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

> I should be more clear.  Quotation marks are not special characters in
> cookie values.  They have no effect on how cookies are processed.  Any
> use of quotation marks by servers is pure superstition, just like
> using a leading "." before the value of the Domain attribute.

So the use of quotations around a cookie-value is opaque and the quotes
will be stored by the user agent and passed back to the server as-is. 
Ok.  Hopefully, I won't run up against any servers that still send
quoted cookie-av values.

---

From: Adam Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:25:57 -0800

> Ok.  Hopefully, I won't run up against any servers that still send

Are you implementing a user agent or a server?  If you're implementing
a user agent, please ignore Section 4 in its entirety and read only
Section 5.  In particular, the text that appears to be confusing you
is contained in Section 4.

Adam