Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-http-negotiate-scenario-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:51:30 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the HyperText Transfer Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Scenarios for the Delivery of Negotiated Content
	Author(s)	: E. Hardie
	Filename	: draft-ietf-http-negotiate-scenario-02.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 18-Nov-97
	
A number of Internet application protocols have a need to provide
content negotiation for the resources with which they interact.  While
MIME media types [1] provide a standard method for handling one
major axis of variation, resources also vary in ways which cannot be
expressed using currently available MIME headers.  This paper asserts
that a cross-protocol negotiation framework is needed, both to
leverage work already done for specific protocols and to allow for
content negotiation when resources will pass through several
protocols on their way from provider to recipient.  To justify the
need, this paper puts forward several content negotiation scenarios
and discusses how they affect the requirements for such a framework.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-http-negotiate-scenario-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-negotiate-scenario-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-negotiate-scenario-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.