Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-http-ext-mandatory-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:20:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the HyperText Transfer Protocol Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Mandatory Extensions in HTTP
	Author(s)	: P. Leach, H. Nielsen, S. Lawrence
	Filename	: draft-ietf-http-ext-mandatory-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 13-Mar-98
	
       HTTP is used increasingly in applications that need more facilities
       than the standard version of the protocol provides, ranging from
       distributed authoring, collaboration, and printing, to various remote
       procedure call mechanisms. This document proposes the use of a
       mandatory extension mechanism designed to address the tension between
       private agreement and public specification and to accommodate
       extension of applications such as HTTP clients, servers, and proxies.
       The proposal associates each extension with a URI[2], and use a few
       new RFC 822[1] style header fields to carry the extension identifier
       and related information between the parties involved in an extended
       transaction.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-http-ext-mandatory-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-ext-mandatory-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-ext-mandatory-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.