Subject: Testing web server speed

From: "Jordi Ros" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:03:54 -0800

Hi, 

I want to test my web server speed and I'm looking for some tool that can simulate thousands of users sending requests to the web server. I tried VELOMETER but this one does not support HTTP1.1. Does anybody knows of any such software that is HTTP1.1 capable?

Thanks,

Jordi

---

From: "M. Drew Streib" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:07:10 -0800 (PST)

> I want to test my web server speed and I'm looking for some tool that
 can simulate thousands of users sending requests to the web server. I
 tried VELOMETER but this one does not support HTTP1.1. Does anybody knows
 of any such software that is HTTP1.1 capable?

Try 'ab' (Apache benchmark). A simple http request/benchmarking program
that comes with Apache.

I'm not sure which features you need from http/1.1, but this client is
fairly simple code, and sometimes very useful.

On the downside, it doesn't simulate real world requests very well
(dropped connections, slow connections, network lag times, etc...) but
does give some indication of relative server speed.

-drew

-------
Drew Streib <[email-masked]> 408.542.5725

System Administrator, Linux International   | <[email-masked]>
Information Architect, VA Linux Systems     | <[email-masked]>
Senior Developer, SourceForge               | <[email-masked]>
Admirer, Occasional Programmer, Linux.com   | <[email-masked]>
Founder, Shok Media                         | <[email-masked]>