Subject: Proxies, Request-URI, and digest-uri

From: Joe Orton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:53:05 +0000

Is it optional, or required, for proxy servers to rewrite the Request-URI
from absoluteURI to abs_path form? I can't find where it is specified that
it is allowed, except this reference in 2617: (3.2.2)

   digest-uri
     The URI from Request-URI of the Request-Line; duplicated here
     because proxies are allowed to change the Request-Line in transit.

If it *is* up to the proxy server whether it rewrites the Request-URI or
not, I think that makes 2617 sec 3.2.2.5 an impossible demand? Regarding
the value of the digest-uri field submitted in an Authorization: header.

                                           In particular, it MUST
   be an "absoluteURL" if the Request-URI is an "absoluteURL".

... if the proxy may change Request-URI from absoluteURI to abs_path, or
it may leave it as an absoluteURI, how will the client know which to
submit in digest-uri?

(a typo, too: that section uses "absoluteURL" twice... should be
absoluteURI?)

Regards,

joe

---

From: Joe Orton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:57:43 +0000

> The client puts in digest-uri exactly what it put on the Request-URI.

Ah... my problem was, that the request then gets to the origin server as: 

FOOBAR /random/uri HTTP/1.1
Host: origin.server.com
Authorization: Digest blah blah 
      digest-uri="http://origin.server.com/random/uri" blah blah

And I read 3.2.2.5 to mean "digest-uri and Request-URI must match
octet-by-octet", where here they don't. Reading it again doesn't give the
same impression, though... the above request should not give a 400
response?

My mistake, sorry. 

joe