Subject: Microsoft HTTP 1.1 Conformance?

From: "John C. Mallery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:55:22 -0500

I just started checking out IE browser 5.0 for the Mac. Whereas in 4.5
there was a switch to get it to use Http 1.1 in proxy requests, no such
switch remains in the current version. 

I'm wondering if the microsoft browsers are going backwards on http 1,1
conformance, just as they lost digest authentication from IE 3 in later
releases.

Can anybody shed some light precisely what the status of IE's conformance
to HTTP 1.1 is?

Can anybody explain why 100s of MS hackers are unable after years to
achieve 100% conformance?

Does this reflect the lack of competition for MS in the browser arena?
An explicit management strategy?

Perhaps this suggests a remedy as well: IE A, B, and C
and suggest a remedy?

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:06:23 -0400

> From: John C. Mallery 

> conformance, just as they lost digest authentication from 

No, I believe that they just changed the configurability of it.

IE5 supports 1.1, and supports Digest (rfc2617).

> Can anybody shed some light precisely what the status of 

Far far better than Netscape, which doesn't do 1.1 at all.

---

From: "John C. Mallery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:38:52 -0500

>IE5 supports 1.1, and supports Digest (rfc2617).

And what about http 1.1 proxying?

---

From: "Keith Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:55:31 -0500

And what about http 1.1 proxying?
 That is supported too.  Look under the advanced options tab for Internet
properties